Trusted Contributor

I'd like to talk about wedding makeup for pictures, specifically foundation.

My sister is getting married in a couple weeks and let's just say I have many choices when it comes to my makeup look, from my own makeup collection. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} My only concern is foundation. I have a nice canvas regarding my slightly oily skin and my only "foundation" is Paula's Choice Resist Super Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30, which is tinted. Is that appropriate for pictures? I don't like thick foundations or sunscreens on my face and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Trusted Contributor

Re: I'd like to talk about wedding makeup for pictures, specifically foundation.

I highly recommend watching Lisa Eldridge's video series on foundations. Guaranteed you will learn a lot. She's a professional makeup artist that does great videos for us amateurs.

This is video 1 or 8:

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25667/how-to-shop-for-the-perfect-foundation/#.VSRs9fnF98E

Super Contributor

Re: I'd like to talk about wedding makeup for pictures, specifically foundation.

I remember when when my daughter was getting married, everyone told me not to wear foundation with an spf because it would not look good in the photos.

Enjoy the wedding!

New Contributor

I just got married last fall and I used Youngblood. Turned out really good. Looked great in pictures too.
Valued Contributor

My favorite foundation is Bareminerals Serum Foundation, but I think if I were trying to pick make-up for photos I would do test runs. Apply different looks & have people take photos of you to see which you like best.
Trusted Contributor

A timely subject for me. My grandson is getting married Memorial Day weekend - the wedding will be very formal. I have my outfit, now I need to consider the makeup. I am a mature 79; don't usually wear a lot of makeup; but I also don't want to look like the frumpy old granma. Have started making the rounds of the makeup counters. But you would be surprised how difficult it is to find a MU artist who is familiar with mature women! Most are very good with makeup for younger gals! They load on the MU and it just doesn't work on mature skin! Within a short time, it has settled into the lines and wrinkles and looks terrible. It's less is best for us seniors! The one I wish I could see is Tricia Cusden, Look Fabulous Forever, on YouTube - she's excellent! But she's in the UK - her products are available here by mail only. Been tempted to order but am unsure about color which can be tricky.

Honored Contributor

A little off topic gonnab, but I suspect that anyone as savvy as you are is at very little risk for showing up as a "frumpy old granma". Please let us "silver stylists" know what you finally decide about foundation. It's always an unanswered question for me, too.
Honored Contributor

On 4/7/2015 MMoore24 said: I just got married last fall and I used Youngblood. Turned out really good. Looked great in pictures too.

Love Youngblood Mineral foundation!!! It is my absolute favorite mineral foundation! Looks so good and natural!

Respected Contributor

If you can afford it, have a professional do your makeup. This is a special day and all eyes will be on you. My DD was married about 2 years ago and we both had airbrush done on us. It lasted the entire day and really looked beautiful.

Honored Contributor

First, are you in the wedding party and will you be in a zillion pictures? Physical SPF in makeup can flashback when being photographed and make you look like a ghost in some conditions. Before you decide which foundation works for you, take a picture of yourself with your cell phone, making sure the flash is on, and then check to see if your makeup matches or makes you look pale.

Consider the time and venue - if the wedding is outdoors and venue is well lit and the photographer won't be using a flash, you won't need to worry about the SPF. If it's in the evening or in a place with low lighting and the photographer uses a flash, it could be an issue.

If it's a combination, better off using sunscreen under a foundation than using a foundation or powder with SPF. You should also be careful when using HD setting powders, as too much product can cause flashback. That's why many celebrities showed up with white powder on their faces at red carpet events when HD makeup first came out.