Regular Contributor

Anyone else tired of coloring gray hair? I swim everyday in a chlorine pool and it quickly takes out the color. I have been toying with letting it go gray. Thoughts??

Honored Contributor

I have not colored by dark hair for maybe 15 years and although I don't have a lot of gray hair ,I would not go to the trouble of coloring it.

Valued Contributor

if you look under search for graying hair you will find a lot of threads here that have discussed this numerous times.

Valued Contributor

I'd wear a swim cap. Besides even if you let it go gray, the chlorine still may harm your hair.

I tried going gray and it looked very patchy. Not a good look for me at all. I may revisit it later on, but for now I think I need to keep coloring.

Contributor
I'm in a quandary myself. Have colored my natural ash brown hair blond since I was a teen, all types, even double processed. Been letting the style and color grow out since November and am not liking it. The front is almost white, but the back is very dark. I honestly don't know what to do. As an ex-hairdresser, I can tell you that coloring is a science and very tricky to say the least. I gave up coloring my own hair about 15 years ago, but now I'm at the point where it has gotten too expensive and my hair grows like a weed. If I had all the money I've spent on my hair, I could retire.
Super Contributor

I tried it ... and by the time my hair was all grown out, I hated it and went back to coloring.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you thought about wearing a swim cap in the pool, or do they still make those?

Trusted Contributor

Wear a swim cap or a wig.

Respected Contributor

Hello, Diane1317. Smile

Since you said that you swim and the color gets stripped really fast, maybe let it go silver. I'm sure it'll look just as nice. There's a brand called Nexxus that makes a product called Simply Silver Color Toning Shampoo, if that helps.

Or, like the other ladies suggested, try wearing a swim cap.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Trusted Contributor

The only time I dyed my hair consistently was while it grew out after a failed attempt to change colors while in college. It didn't even occur to me that I wanted to be locked into that whole process again when my hair later began to grey. My hair has now been grey for many years and I've received many, many complements on it during that time.

I say it depends on how you feel about grey hair and how the grey grows in. You won't know what color grey your hair will end up until you let it grow in. Assuming you don't have negative associations to grey hair, the worst part will be the "in-between" while it's growing in. I'm really glad that I let mine just change naturally.