Frequent Contributor
I am getting more and more gray in the front of my hair. I have been getting highlights at the salon but 1) It's expensive and 2) It's not really covering my gray all that well. I am thinking about just doing a color myself at home. What's the best to cover gray? Thanks!
Super Contributor

Re: Do you color your own hair?

I do color my roots at home. I use Clairol Neutral brown . It looks good for me. It does get expensive at the salon, but mainly I do not like sitting in the salon. I do go for haircuts though.

Regular Contributor

I do my own hair and have tried almost all the brands. I have been most impressed with Clairol Age Defy...it's a little more expensive than other brands but it covers grey better which is the whole point. I use Medium Ash Brown.

Honored Contributor

I've been using L'Oreal Excellence for years. Works for me. I color about every 5 weeks, after a haircut.

Regular Contributor

I started dying my hair myself probably some 20 yrs ago as my hair was almost black and I did not like the dull grey hairs. I used Clairol because it not only covered well but was not a flat single color but allowed for natural color variation. But in recent years I have been taking the color lighter and have been trying more natural colors especially Naturatint and Herbaltint. They are more expensive but I usually get them online at a discount. They leave my hair feeling better and inspite of what they say about not changing more than 2 levels I have been able to get my hair down to a mixed lighter blonde shades without any bleach.

Esteemed Contributor

Used to... Clairol and I was very happy doing it. Started at the age of 15, I kid you not. Loved to change color. My parents were not all that happy. I had every color in the book. I wanted to be a beautician. I got married, kept changing my hair color UNTIL it seemed to get color resistant. I caved and went to a real professional. They sort of mislead me. What I was trying to color was actually white hair (family trait). I also inherited VERTIGO, could no longer go backwards in a sink. Stopped coloring cold turkey, I guess you could call it that. Now I am the proud owner of a full head of healthy shiny and curly platinum hair. All I do is wash, spray and go. It dries in the air. Not even sure where I put my brush.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I color my own hair. I use L'Oreal Excellence Creme. Easy to do and covers the gray well. I do it about every 6 weeks. I have very short hair.... like Jamie Lee Curtis short.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

What are some good tips for coloring your hair at home? It has been a very long time since I attempted it...always felt it didn't look as good as when I went to the salon. I don't like the extra expense and sitting at the salon either! Also, I have had concerns about using hair color,( are there any that are more "natural"?) but getting tired of the stray grays popping up...

Esteemed Contributor

I colored my own hair for about 30 years. I purchased the Clairol and developer at the beauty supply store and, in my case, mixed two colors to get the shade I wanted. The most important thing, IMO, as you do your touchups, is to do the roots first for a certain length of time and then apply the color to the ends. If you do full head color every time it will begin looking uneven. This is assuming you will use permanent color. All of that said, about three years ago I had a bad injury on my right hand and had to have my hair stylist color my hair for me. It was so nice that I've never colored it myself again. LOL. I am retired and can afford to go. It's such a nice treat to be "waited on". Good luck.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Regular Contributor

I haven't had my hair colored in a salon in 15 -17 years AND prior to that I hardly used a salon for coloring - not much gray at all

I do it at home for 5.00 & 10, 15, 20 minutes

Clairol root touch up 5G med golden brown (1 box for just roots) and if I need more to cover all over I use 2 boxes - cover roots for most of the time then the last 5 minutes the rest of my hair

the other 1 use is: Loreal excellence 5G med golden brown (cover roots 1st for most of the time with the last 5 minutes all over (i do not do the entire 30 - 40 minutes) I do 20 OR 25 on the roots , then 5 minutes all over

The color AND my hair is just as nice...... actually THE SAME as if done in a salon -

I have SAVED a ton of money over the years 40 - 75 a color PLUS tip........

AND most times, EVEN though there is gray, I can go 3 months without coloring AND USE In between coloring I use WOW color WOW to cover up any gray (most of my gray is along the hair line) the other gray I can get away with not bothering with, it's covered underneath / in the back

I also do my OWN pedicures - VERY rare I have a pedicure (MAYBE once a year) I do my own AND AGAIN............... I save a lot of money there too

Smiley Happy))))))