Regular Contributor

Anyone use red raspberry seed oil as an SPF?

My face is just so touchy with regular sunscreens that I've been using red raspberry seed oil on parts of it (cheeks and forehead can't tolerate it) over the winter. If I'm going to be out in the sun much I use an additional sunscreen over it and always wear a hat outside, but unfortunately the hats don't cover the sun when the sun is at a low angle. I don't know how good a sunscreen it really is but supposedly it has a UVB SPF of 28-50 and UVA of 8. My skin is dry right now, so the oil helps. I'm looking for a physical sunscreen to use for when I'm out more, but am just wondering if any of you use RRSO as a sunscreen. Thanks for any input!

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use red raspberry seed oil as an SPF?

The only oil I've used that supposedly has a natural SPF is yangu oil but no I'd never rely on it solely for my SPF protection because any natural spf found in things like oils can vary widely from one bottle to the next. There is no way to be sure what actual SPF you are getting and I'd strongly advise you not to use it as your sole means of sun protection.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/29/2015 HappyDaze said:

The only oil I've used that supposedly has a natural SPF is yangu oil but no I'd never rely on it solely for my SPF protection because any natural spf found in things like oils can vary widely from one bottle to the next. There is no way to be sure what actual SPF you are getting and I'd strongly advise you not to use it as your sole means of sun protection.

Totally agree with HappyDaze on this one.

Super Contributor

I have the same trouble with sunscreens and tried raspberry oil on a day when I wasn't going to be in the sun. I still got a slight burn and then broke out, too.

I'm having really good luck with Mychelle Sun Shield SPF 28 Unscented.

Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I'll check them all out. I tried a sample of Mychelle a long time ago, but that was years ago and it has probably changed. If I'm remembering correctly, it was a little drying for me, but I'll look into the SPF 28 one. I haven't used Neutrogena in years either - maybe the newer ones will work out.

It does sound like using the raspberry oil as an SPF isn't the greatest idea, so hopefully something else will work out.

Respected Contributor

If you want an effective but not chemical sunscreen, use zinc or titanium oxide. I use baby sunscreen. I'm allergic to PABA, oxybenzone, cinnaminate, any of the chemical sunscreens break me out in an itchy red raised rash.

I can't imagine that red raspberry oil would be effective and even it it does absorb some UV, it would sweat off.

People come up with stupid ideas all the time, reading chemical properties and then putting out the idea that it's effective, without testing safety and effectiveness. And then people who believe these quacks "Oh, it's NATURAL and SAFE!" get sunburned. And sensitive.

Super Contributor

I have read that red raspberry extract is a great antioxidant, but never that raspberry seed oil is an SPF. I did find one source for this on the web, but it does not site the study it refers to (always suspicious to me) and that the protection from UVA is 8 only.

"A 2000 study found that the UVA and UVB protection afforded by raspberry seed oil is reportedly similar to titanium dioxide with an SPF protection factor against UVB rays of 28-50, and an SPF protection factor against UVA rays of around 8." (from bodyunburdened.com)

I have found some consistency in the various sites I trust stating that it has (the extract) antibacterial properties as well.

In an oil, as HappyDaze posted, you never know what you are going to get.

Respected Contributor

I haven't, but I, too, would be concerned as to what actual SPF level you are getting. I use Elta MD 41 Tinted, and I love it!! Smooth, creamy, and does not irritate my sensitive skin at all. I've been using it for years.