Respected Contributor
I'm to the point now that all the beauty product claims sound alike and too good to be true. I just need to use what I have before I buy anything else. I'm beginning to feel like good old soap and water and a moisturizer is enough. How about you?
Super Contributor

Re: Beauty Claims Overblown?

No -- I can see the difference (vast difference) of how my skin looks with a few really good products compared to how it looked when I'd just cleanse and put on moisturizer.

I do think in addition to pushing their claims as far as they can, we can have unrealistic hopes about what can be achieved (I'm raising my hand, here). Once I realized what I could and could not reasonably expect, I'm much happier. And also, to repeat, much happier that I've found some really good products that work for me. :-)

Trusted Contributor

I think a lot of claims are overblown because companies are trying to be better than the last great thing rather than trying to be really innovative. That said, I think it takes a lot of trial and error to find what works for you. High on my list is Estée Lauder for skin care (night regimen) but I experiment more with day (Lancôme, Boots, Philosophy, NuFace). Apparently, there are few true manufacturers of products and a number of labels have their products manufactured by others. Having been in this business in another industry (medical, also regulated), it could be that what we buy as one brand is actually branded separately under another label.
Super Contributor

I decided to pare down long ago. The best things I've found for my skin; Using olive oil as an oil cleanser. A day cream. A night cream. Argan oil.

I received a sample of Paula's Choice Resist Moisture Renewal Oil Booster and love it, so I will get a bottle of that. I'm also getting a bottle of marula oil. The argan oil is great, but I still want to try marula oil. The oils are what made the difference in my skin. All I was looking for was moisture, but they helped so much more than just that. I do want to see which I like the best. I do want to try Paula's Choice day and night creams when I'm through with what I have now.

One other thing I will keep in my routine is Greek Yoghurt Foaming Cream Cleanser by Korres. I like to use it after removing makeup with olive oil. It only takes a small amount and does not dry out my skin. This tube lasts a very long time.

A day cream, night cream, 2-3 oils. Plus olive oil and a foaming cleanser. For me, less is definitely more.

Super Contributor

What I get tired of is a line that keeps adding items that do the same things as older items but touting them as "new and improved," or "with added properties as original." Some lines (like Dr. Denese) have so many products, there is no way I could use them all the way they are intended and get to work on time or get to bed by a reasonable hour!

Simplicity is better in beauty, I think. I'm still a long time user of Principal Secret (used to be sold at QVC). It's simple, good products that really work. I've used this line for 20 some years and people say I don't look my age. I think it has made my skin healthier and easier to care for.

I do use other items from other lines that I like, but my advice to these beauty lines is keep it simple, too many steps just makes it confusing and expensive.

Super Contributor

Chessylady, you're right. The claims are overblown. There isn't a cream or potion on the planet that can penetrate the skin deep enough to have ANY effect on wrinkles, sagging, or overall aging. All they can do is reduce the APPEARANCE of those things. Having said that, save your money and just buy a nice, hydrating, exfoliating face cream at the drugstore.
Trusted Contributor

I do think there are certain ingredients that can make a difference with consistent use but the caveat there is, each of us may respond differently. And really hydrating the skin with whatever works best for each of us is universal, imo. Retina A has been proven to work in thousands of studies done on it.

I don't pay much heed to vendors making claims as they are always going to say their latest and greatest is the "it" answer. I do, however, give credence to reviews as they are from women who have used the products. If something gets a ton of raves, I am certainly more likely to investigate it.

I read some interesting facts on the comparison of Marula oil versus Argon Oil. Marula contains the Vit E tocotrienol within which helps a lot more with free radical damage. And although both are hydrating, Argon is considered to be a little more effective in that category.

The type of Vitamin E found in Marula is far less common in skincare than the E found in Argon (marula has tocotrienol versus the more typical tocopherol in argon) and is 40 to 50 times more effective in fighting free radical damage. I also prefer the lighter consistency in Marula and the tocotrienol in it has the ability to penetrate the skin deeper and quicker than tocopherol type E.

Trusted Contributor

In response to the OP question, yes, they are absurdly overblown and some almost seem ridiculous to the point that it's hard to contemplate that anyone would believe them.

Super Contributor

Yes, I think they are overblown. One time when Oprah had Dr. Patricia Wexler on her show, Oprah asked her if products we apply to the face could really make a difference. Dr. Wexler said the best topical products can only make a 10% difference in the appearance of our skin, AT the MOST. To really make significant changes, you need Dermatology procedures or surgery.

Now, 10% would be a visible difference for some issues, but not miraculous, which is often claimed by Perricone, for example.

Often when I see before and after photos for various product lines, I see no difference or think the "before" pic is better. I think this is example of what Dr. Wexler was saying. Topical products will only make AT THE MOST a 10% visible difference.

Trusted Contributor

Just remember that you are watching a commercial. The presenters are sales people. Many of the studies are done by the company, not independent researchers, and the results are that women thought their skin looked or felt better. The industry is not well regulated but is highly profitable. When looking at a product,think about the cost per ounce and ask yourself if it is need a good value.