Respected Contributor

O/T ~ Cleaning An Oven..............

I bought a foam oven cleaner (Easy-Off) at the grocery store to clean my gas oven. It cleaned rather well, but I'm FOREVER wiping off a white residue.

Can anyone recommend an oven cleaner that the white residue comes off easily?

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T ~ Cleaning An Oven..............

I hope you bought the Easy Off that is odorless (no fumes). I really don't think there are too many brands to choose from when it comes to oven cleaners. Buy a self cleaning oven and you will never have to clean an oven again. I always hated cleaning ovens.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

From personal experience, I would never again use the selfcleaning function on a gas oven. The ovens are too prone to start an internal fire within the oven and/or the lock on the door will not unlock. I wipe out my oven with a rag, use easy off on the widow only about once a year. This is just my experience...based on what has happened to me, friends and doing research on ovens.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Occasional Contributor

I can't recommend a different cleaner because I prefer Easy Off. But what I do is wipe the residue off with a vinegar, water mixture. Works for me.

Honored Contributor

On 3/23/2015 Sandree said:

I can't recommend a different cleaner because I prefer Easy Off. But what I do is wipe the residue off with a vinegar, water mixture. Works for me.

Thanks for the tip -- great idea.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2015 KatCat1 said:

I hope you bought the Easy Off that is odorless (no fumes). I really don't think there are too many brands to choose from when it comes to oven cleaners. Buy a self cleaning oven and you will never have to clean an oven again. I always hated cleaning ovens.

Hate to tell you, but self cleaning have to reach such high heat to clean that you really have an issue with paying for replacing a thermostat. Talk about expensive!{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Esteemed Contributor

I live in an apartment. The oven that I have is the one that I got when I moved in. Naturally, I can't replace it with an oven that has a "self-cleaning" feature.

I hate cleaning the oven, is there anything out there besides Easy-Off that will clean an oven?

Thanks!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

i hate cleaning ovens so i am interested in what others have to say.

Super Contributor

My oven wasn't working so I had to have it repaired. The gentleman that fixed it said never use the self cleaning feature because my oven is 16 years old and it would probably break it for sure. I did buy Easy Off today and I'm glad I was able to learn about the vinegar solution. Thanks.
Frequent Contributor

My husband decided to 'self clean' my oven on Thanksgiving eve while I was at work. Holy cow! the smell and the smoke was ridiculous and the oven wasnt even that bad!!!! I wanted to kill him! Ever since, I have manually cleaned my oven with Easy Off.