Contributor

Needs updates on hair loss, hair breakage

I have hypothyroid, hashimoto and autoimmune, take armour for thyroid, My hair was too thick, very curly all my life. About 5 yrs ago, I noticed less thickness, thought it could be from anesthesia , recent surgeries. Derm. Suggest Rogaine, hairstylist said, Nioxin I take biotin. Now sides are breaking off, won't grow. Hairstylist told me the hair growth products dry your hair. She rec. lots of moisture to scalp and ends. Bought redken extreme length primer and sealer, both expensive! But I'll try .....first usage, my hair looked more conditioned. Too soon to see growth. What is working for others?
Super Contributor

Re: Needs updates on hair loss, hair breakage

You might ask your Dr about a different med. I took Armour because I read it was best to prevent hair loss. My hair remained very thin. When Armour was off the market for a while, I took something else and my hair got thicker. It is so much better now. Since Armour is a natural product, it can be inconsistent and unstable. Just a suggestion. I also used minoxydil. It did not help at all.

Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure Nioxin would work for you as it is mainly for hair loss related to too much DHT in the scalp, which is not associated with Hashimoto's. I have Hashimoto's and tried Rogaine. It did help some with loss but didn't grow any hair back. I found Vitamin D, Iron, Magnesium, and Biotin to help the most. Good luck. Focus on treating the AI disease and the hair will get better.
Honored Contributor

These natural, safe supplements: biotin, hyaluronic acid, & evening primrose oil.

Great for your hair and scalp, plus healthy for your body. 8)

Contributor

My dr. Took me off armour for a generic synthroid, I couldn't take it.....felt sick. My sister does take it , her hair is worse. Female hair loss was not in our family, not my mom or any aunts. I don't know what all to do for autoimmune. One dr recommended, no gluten and vit D. I've been off gluten for 2 yrs, didn't help hair. Other dr. Says nothing can be done for autoimmune l Not sure who to believe. Will add evening primrose. Any hair products recommended?
Esteemed Contributor

I also have an autoimmune that I've been living with for 15 years. I didn't know I was walking around with it for four years. Shortly after I was diagnosed I was losing my hair , partly from the illness partly from the variety of meds. For a few years I listened to CHAZ about his Wen products and finally took the plunge. My first purchase was his tea tree oil and then his cleanser. That was over 8 years ago and I have not looked back since. My hair is the best it's been since I was a teenager and the longest too. I do biweekly oil treatments on my scalp. His products saved my hair and for that I will be forever grateful. It took a few months of weekly oil treatments but it works. I use all his products now and always will.
Respected Contributor

matrix fiberstrong leave in seems to strengthen your hair

Contributor

On 5/10/2015 ANewHue said: I also have an autoimmune that I've been living with for 15 years. I didn't know I was walking around with it for four years. Shortly after I was diagnosed I was losing my hair , partly from the illness partly from the variety of meds. For a few years I listened to CHAZ about his Wen products and finally took the plunge.

I want to try WEN 613 next. My current products are L'Oreal Triple Resist Reinforcing shampo....Redken Extreme length sealer (leave in) and.....from Ulta, Lee Stafford treatment for Hair that never grows.

I like the look of my hair after cleansing, however it remains to be seen if the breakage will stop and the growth start up again.

Also plan to ask my DR in June if I can try another med, like Naturethryiod - just in case Armour is the problem.

Love to hear success stories !