Respected Contributor

Coconut oil as a moisturizer

Ladies, I am using coconut oil as a moisturizer with great results. I bought a jar at Target for $6.99 and is working just as well if not better than the lotions and potions that I was spending 50-120 dollars an ounce on !! I am coming to the conclusion that the skin care lines are selling me a bill of goods. I dont trust them. Sticking to natural solutions such as coconut oil.

Honored Contributor

Re: Coconut oil as a moisturizer

Just an FYI for those with acneic skin: Coconut oil is highly comedogenic, which means it has the potential to clog pores. For those people, it might be wise not to use it as a facial product.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I've used coconut oil for a while now, especially around my eyes, an area for which I find it difficult to find anything that won't irritate me. It liquifies at a temp much lower than normal skin temp so for most people should not clog pores. I also use it to wash my face. I often need no other moisturizer before bed. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

To those who think they cannot use coconut, you may want to check out fractionated coconut oil. The fractionated is supposed to be non-clogging and good for dry, troubled skin.

I got some a while ago. (It is also supposed to have a very long shelf life.) Anyway, I haven't opened it yet because I was and am using other oils. I'm sure I got it for my hair at the time, but now that I'm using CD, I don't need to do coconut oil treatments before hair wash.

Honored Contributor

On 3/21/2015 guatmum said:

I've used coconut oil for a while now, especially around my eyes, an area for which I find it difficult to find anything that won't irritate me. It liquifies at a temp much lower than normal skin temp so for most people should not clog pores. I also use it to wash my face. I often need no other moisturizer before bed. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

But it does rate very high on every comedogenic scale I've seen. So I think it is a prudent FYI for those who have acneic skin. If they're determined to try it, they might use if very sparingly at first to see whether it causes any problems.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I use it on my hands and body along with olive oil for my eczema. It is getting to be summer, so sweating is going to happen even more. Sweat aggravates my eczema, so more coconut oil and olive oil are called for. I keep a small bottle or container in the bathroom to rub down with it when I come out of the shower while my skin is still damp and open for moisture.

Frequent Contributor

I use it to wash my face. It removes makeup. Then use a washcloth to wipe off. Cleansing and exfoliating.
Respected Contributor

My doctor (who is a DO not an MD) recommended it on my dry, flaky toenails !!
Super Contributor

Note that you have to be careful with the coconut oils. Most will turn rancid very quickly.

Super Contributor

I wish coconut oil worked for my skin, but it just breaks me out in huge, horrible, oozy pimples. I do use it daily for oil pulling, though. It has helped my gums and whitened my teeth, plus as a bonus, my lips don't flake any more! I swish it around in my mouth for about 2 minutes every night.