Super Contributor

Where to donate skin care/makeup/shampoo etc. (don't yell)

I have shelves of makeup, moisturizer, shampoo, conditioner, peels, etc. Honestly would like to donate them but know not where. They're 'almost' unused. I just feel awful tossing them. Any ideas? The 'stash' has been updated recently and they are NOT ancient items. many are estee klts and samples etc.

Respected Contributor

Re: Where to donate skin care/makeup/shampoo etc. (don't yell)

Our local women's shelter loves getting this stuff.

Contributor

Ask family, friends, and coworkers if they want them. If not, toss them. The $ is already gone. Shelters won't take opened goods, it's a sanitation issue.
Super Contributor

I'll check, thanks

Super Contributor

On 3/15/2015 itsover said: Ask family, friends, and coworkers if they want them. If not, toss them. The $ is already gone. Shelters won't take opened goods, it's a sanitation issue.

didn't know this about the unopened, thank you

Honored Contributor

Most places will not take used opened items because of liability issues.

Items that have been touched with your fingers or a brush or puff should just be tossed. Bacteria grows fast on cosmetic items and they are not safe to donate or to used by anyone else. It is best to always use a q-tip or other throw away applicator, even if the cosmetic is your own personal use. Never dip your fingers in a pot or jar, use an applicator..,once and clean or throw away. (no double dipping)

If the items have been opened and just squirted out, like shampoo or creams in a tube, you may be able to donate them to individuals directly. I usually take my stuff to work. My co-workers are usually eager to try something new.

Super Contributor

I've had to just bite the bullet and toss barely used items, because no one will accept them. Not even my local women's shelter. I've given them unopened sample items I receive from Sephora & Nordstrom, but I'm not even sure if they use those or if they end up in the trash.

Honored Contributor

Almost unused means used. Give them to family or friends. No charity or organize will accept used or open skincare products or cosmetics. It's disgusting to even think about. If a stranger offered you a jar of used body cream, would you want it?
Super Contributor

On 3/15/2015 kahootz said:

I've had to just bite the bullet and toss barely used items, because no one will accept them. Not even my local women's shelter. I've given them unopened sample items I receive from Sephora & Nordstrom, but I'm not even sure if they use those or if they end up in the trash.

sad $$$$ but this will be my route.

Super Contributor

Throw them out. No one wants used items. It's not sanitary.