Valued Contributor

How do you know if you have this type of skin tone....

Neutral! I am more and more thinking I am neutral, I used to be sallow with a bit of yellow and have dark brown hair, I still have dark brown hair but I seem to have weirdly become much more fair than I used to be , strange indeed. Most fair toned products look obviously colored on me, even Laura Gellers bronze and brighten in fair over whelmed me. Maybe neutral is where I belong. Any other misfits?

Valued Contributor

Re: How do you know if you have this type of skin tone....

My skin tone is very neutral. I, too, have to be careful with color.

Valued Contributor

thye tell you how to tell if you are warm or cool but not neutral, have you noticed?

Esteemed Contributor

Hi blankette..............I have heard of skin tone(s) as either being in the beige underTONES or pink underTONES, so I would fall into the fair (complexion) with pinkISH undertone.

I descibe my skin tone definitely LIGHT, but absolutely not a porcelain. WOULD THAT BE WHAT YOU MEAN AS NEUTRAL? I seldom have any time to 'catch' a beauty show but have heard this mentioned when a vendor shows a selection of 5 shades that ONE 'HAS' to be your skintone, if not, go medium. I could never go past light on anything that would be applied on my face -since I do not come near being in the [beige family]. Apparently, most vendors have said if in doubt, go medium....that would not be true for me period!

And, yes I have noticed-you are either warm or cool, so I am not either, but surmise I am more cool, if I had to have an answer...............never understood any of the clueless marketing stats.

I am fine with a hint of light soft color, a pop of rose blush with red lipstick. Never heard anyone mention neutral {skin tone}. Do you have any particular undertone to your complexion?

Have known other women say most fair foundations has more yellow hues- than would the light foundation have. (???)-!

_Naes

Medium brunette with red highlight throughout my hair/green eyes.

Valued Contributor

On 3/13/2015 _Not an easy sale said:

Hi blankette..............I have heard of skin tone(s) as either being in the beige underTONES or pink underTONES, so I would fall into the fair (complexion) with pinkISH undertone.

I descibe my skin tone definitely LIGHT, but absolutely not a porcelain. WOULD THAT BE WHAT YOU MEAN AS NEUTRAL? I seldom have any time to 'catch' a beauty show but have heard this mentioned when a vendor shows a selection of 5 shades that ONE 'HAS' to be your skintone, if not, go medium. I could never go past light on anything that would be applied on my face -since I do not come near being in the [beige family]. Apparently, most vendors have said if in doubt, go medium....that would not be true for me period!

And, yes I have noticed-you are either warm or cool, so I am not either, but surmise I am more cool, if I had to have an answer...............never understood any of the clueless marketing stats.

I am fine with a hint of light soft color, a pop of rose blush with red lipstick. Never heard anyone mention neutral {skin tone}. Do you have any particular undertone to your complexion?

Have known other women say most fair foundations has more yellow hues- than would the light foundation have. (???)-!

_Naes

you know I think one line that Loreal line actually has an N series for neutrals, I am wondering if this just an untapped market because sales would be limited, know what I mean, because I am not one of 5 either, it fair doesnt work medium wont either, the tone might right but then the shade would be too dark. also I can wear a warm or cool depending on my haircolor...it's odd I must admit!

Valued Contributor

There is a way to tell if you truly are a neutral skin tone.

If you look in natural sunlight and flip your wrist over with your palm facing you, look at your veins on your wrist closely.

If your veins appear to be blue in coloring then you are a cool.

If your veins appear to be green in color then you are warm.

If your veins appear to be turquoise in color you are a neutral.

This really works! I am definitely a warm skin tone because my veins appear green in natural sunlight on my wrist! This has helped me tremendously in selecting correct color shades in foundations as well as clothing choices. I only wear warm shaded colors...except for black pants which is a woman's foundational clothing piece.

Super Contributor

I never could tell which one I was with those tests to determine my skintone. So I went to the Lancome counter and got the girl to match my foundation. That's how I found out that I'm Neutral.

Trusted Contributor

Getting a good match can be tricky, since colors in all brands are not the same. Lisa Eldridge did a wonderful series of videos on foundation. Below is a link to "How to find the right shade of foundation" but I highly recommend watching the whole series of eight.

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25670/how-to-find-the-right-shade-of-foundation/#.VQQEDY7F98E

Esteemed Contributor

I don't do foundations. But the way I can tell that I am neutral is that I can wear a bunch of colors of lipsticks -- orangy-peachy to pinks & plums -- and they all look right. Not clothing colors, though. Those I still stick with cool, because I look best in them. So, I'm a neutral-cool.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 blankette said:
On 3/13/2015 _Not an easy sale said:

I descibe my skin tone definitely LIGHT, but absolutely not a porcelain. WOULD THAT BE WHAT YOU MEAN AS NEUTRAL? I seldom have any time to 'catch' a beauty show but have heard this mentioned when a vendor shows a selection of 5 shades that ONE <em>'HAS'</em> to be your skintone, if not, go medium. I could never go past light on anything that would be applied on my face -since I do not come near being in the [beige family]. Apparently, most vendors have said if in doubt, go medium....that would not be true for me period!

_Naes

you know I think one line that Loreal line actually has an N series for neutrals, I am wondering if this just an untapped market because sales would be limited, know what I mean, because I am not one of 5 either, it fair doesnt work medium wont either, the tone might right but then the shade would be too dark. also I can wear a warm or cool depending on my haircolor...it's odd I must admit!

There are many lines now that have a designated neutral selection of shades. My Estee Lauder Perfectionist liquid foundation is just one example. They have a cool, warm, and neutral options for all skin shades from fair to rich.

But the problem is, that the designation is subjective, and each company might be different in what they offer. So whereas I might be a neutral elsewhere, I'm a Cool in the EL foundation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland