Trusted Contributor

Best way to cover discolored/dark eyelids?

Any suggestions for good coverage? Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Re: Best way to cover discolored/dark eyelids?

Urban Decay and Trish McEvoy both have eyelid primers in their lines. Trish offers several shades in hers, not sure about UD, which I haven't used for several years. Both brands neutralize lid discolorations and are shadow friendly.
Super Contributor

I have fair skin so my eyelids have a purplish veiny discoloration to them. I really like Trish McEvoy's primer. It is smooth and can be worn on its own as a very light eye color if you want. I use the color "sand". If you watch her demo videos, she applies a lot of product to the models. I don't feel you need that much. It is pricey but lasts a long time for me.

Honored Contributor

Actually I used IT concealer that worked well and also BE bisque works too. I have the purple color in the inside corner on my nose that I use those products on. Don't rub the creams in tho; just push them in with your finger or a sponge. Works so much better and looks even.

Respected Contributor

Bobbi Brown cream shadow in the color Shore. Neutralizes the discoloration. Can be worn by itself or used as a base for powdered shadows.

Frequent Contributor

I use MAC paint pot in the color Painterly. I use it every day, no matter if I go ahead and top it with eye shadow or not. I've tried all the others - IT, Urban Decay, etc... I didn't like any of them. Painterly goes on smooth as silk and totally covers my discolored eyelids, and stays all day until I take it off at night. I also bring it into the inner corners of my eyes/nose where it covers the darkness there completely. It's the only product I've tried that gives me complete coverage without look thick and pasty. My eyelids look silky smooth after application and an even, perfect shade of nude/beige. It also sets quickly, so if I do want to go ahead with some eye shadow, there's not any down time and the eye shadow glides effortlessly across my lids. I started out applying it with a brush, but now I apply it with my finger.

I order it directly from MAC, where shipping is free and very speedy. The pot of Painterly is $21 and lasts 3-4 months, applying it daily.

Respected Contributor

I use BE well rested.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for asking this....I especially appreciate the reply from ""wagirl"" who suggested IT concealer and gave a very helpful hint as to how to apply it. I have this concealer and it didn't work well on my very dark eyelids but I was just rubbing the cream onto the eyelid. I tried it her way by pushing it into the lid and it really worked. So thanks to both of you ladies. My favorite thing about these forums is the tried and true tips and experiences shared by everyone.

Honored Contributor

I have terrible discoloration on my eyelids and even at the corners of my eyes. Nothing really works 100 percent.

But I have fairly good luck with either Laura Geller's Eye Spackle (only the one in a little jar) and better luck with Estee Lauder's Double Wear concealer in an applicator in Extra Light. It's not an emollient concealer, and that's why I can use it successfully as a primer.

Many concealers are just too creamy or heavy. Personally, I love It Cosmetics BBUE for under my eyes, but I don't use it on my eyelids.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2015 Deeze said:

Thanks for asking this....I especially appreciate the reply from ""wagirl"" who suggested IT concealer and gave a very helpful hint as to how to apply it. I have this concealer and it didn't work well on my very dark eyelids but I was just rubbing the cream onto the eyelid. I tried it her way by pushing it into the lid and it really worked. So thanks to both of you ladies. My favorite thing about these forums is the tried and true tips and experiences shared by everyone.

Isn't it amazing how well that little method works? I think I got that tip from one of the make gurus but can't remember who.