Super Contributor

I have an Ulta rewards card and use it quite often. I like Ulta. Every few weeks I get a catalog in the mail with some kind of discount or notice of sales. I received one yesterday and started to look through it. I noticed that it had a strong perfume smell and took out the perfumed inserts. All of a sudden I began wheezing and had extreme difficulty breathing. I have asthma for many years but my asthma has been very well controlled for the last 20+ years.

My DH took me to the Urgent Care near our home and I was treated, kept for a few hours and sent home. I am back on prednisone which I haven't had in many, many years. I have an appointment tomorrow to see my primary doctor.

When we got home my DH threw out the catalogs and the inserts. He noticed that the smell was particularly strong. I am contacting Ulta to request that no more catalogs be sent to my home. I'll get the discount coupons online.

Super Contributor

I hope your are feeling better. Fortunately I don't have any allergies, but it was full of samples and I can see how this could effect someone with allergies. You would think, that if they want to send samples, they would be sealed to avoid possible reactions.

Super Contributor

What's interesting is I'm not allergic to a lot of stuff. I'm allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs and that's it. I don't know what happened.

Respected Contributor

My asthma also kicked up a month ago after a 20 yr hiatus. Not sure if it was from the bad cold I caught, or from sniffing some of my very vintage fragrances (doc. said it wasn't the perfumes). I actually love the Ulta sniffies in the catalog, can't wait to get mine. Sorry if it got your asthma going.

Respected Contributor
I noticed the scent was extremely strong, too! I'm not sensitive to scents, per say, but this one was nearly overwhelming. Im sorry you had that reaction!!
Honored Contributor

I noticed that it was quite strong, too. I immediately took it out to our trash can in the garage.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I've really become sensitive to scents now. No allergic reactions, I just can't stand the smell. Everything has some nasty perfume scent.

Paper towels with Dawn...yuck. Walking past a B&BWs or Yankee Candle store...yuck. I can't stand when someone has dryer sheets in the dryer and you can smell it....yuck.

Everything has Febreeze odor control. Everything! What are people trying to mask?

Trusted Contributor

Glad you're feeling better. They shouldn't put such strong scents in catalogs or magazines.

My mother is sensitive to scents--they can make her really nauseous. Back in the '80s when Giorgio perfume was so popular, the samples sometimes came in magazines or catalogs. My mom knew the second one of those hit the mail slot. She would run to the bathroom and holler for my brother or me to find the offending magazine, take the entire thing and pitch it in the neighbors trash.

Respected Contributor

I have had an awards card for about a year and never received a catalog. I myself love perfume but not the overpowering kind. overpowering perfume especially floral gives me migraines

Respected Contributor

If you contact the home office you can request a fragrance free catalog.

Don't worry, be Happy!