Frequent Contributor

O/T ***warning*** flax seed can be bad for some

I have been eating healthy the last few month & decided to add a sprinkle of flax seed to my salad last night then something strange happened... My lipS felt like I ate a jalapeno pepper brushed it off thinking it was the dressing a lil while later looked in the mirror lips still tingled but instead of my thin lil lips I had Angelina Jolie lips instead Smiley Sad also had extreme pain in my upper tummy & eye were itchy took some benadryl & slowly things went from bad to worse my face the whole center of it from forehead to chin was bright red I felt like me the flue hit me then the flue feeling went away & started to get hives all over my body I was still breathing fine but decided to go ER anyway. By the time o got there 15-20min away tops hives & face were worse & started to have shortness of breath they got me in right away & good thing they did because ER Dr said I almost went into anaphylactic shock how freaking scary!!!! Anyway they gave me iv with drugs & breathong treatments monitored me for 5hrs & sent me home after I was good & by them face started to calm down. Didn't get home til 6a thismorning & have a toddler so there is no such thing ad sleep for me today lol anyway just wanted not say please please be careful with being healthy just because its healthy & organic doesn't always mean it is good for or will agree with you. I now have to takeeds.for a month & carry an epi pen with me always Er Dr was not surprised when I said flax seed was the reason (I know it was that because it was the only thing I changed in diet or life style) Dr said hrs not surprised with all this stuff coming from who knows where ( mine was from US I double checked) and flax seed becoming more popular they are seeing more & more of these cases. I also did some reading on it after & your body automatically attacks the flax seed like it is a disease its trying to fight off hebsr the flue like symptoms & extreme tummy pain so just an FYI please very careful what you put into your body even if it is "healthy & organic" it was a very scary situation
Respected Contributor

Re: O/T ***warning*** flax seed can be bad for some

Wow, what a scary experience! Glad you're on the mend now.

I've been using ground flaxseed in my smoothies for a couple of years now. I usually buy product grown in this country, so hope it's as pure as it should be.

I had no idea something like that could cause such a violent allergic reaction.

Trusted Contributor

Just about anything can cause an allergic reaction. My oncologist nurse told me to avoid flax seed, as they are studying it as a problem in estrogen based cancers.

Honored Contributor

Anything can cause a serious allergic reaction if you happen to be allergic to the product. My mom had a reaction to strawberries just last summer. I developed huge hives after taking an antibiotic called Ceclor. I hope you are feeling much better today.
Honored Contributor

I take flaxseed oil capsules everyday as they fight inflammation. No reaction whatsoever. Everyone is different. Glad you are okay. You experienced a serious allergic reaction.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Anyone can be allergic to anything. I got allergic to buckwheat. BUCKWHEAT. How silly is that? And it's not even a grain (with gluten.)

Trusted Contributor

I didn't have an allergic reaction to flax seed. But, it just about turned my intestines inside out!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

yes I agree with others- anyone can be allergic to anything. I use to eat flax seeds all the time but prefer chia and hemp seeds (and even pumpkin). You are also suppose to grind up flax seeds (was yours the seeds or ground?) because your body will not be digest the seeds very well and that in itself can cause alot of intestinal issues.

Edit to add, I also always make sure I get organic of any seed and always look what country it is coming from. Both are very important.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/6/2015 lacey1 said:

Just about anything can cause an allergic reaction. My oncologist nurse told me to avoid flax seed, as they are studying it as a problem in estrogen based cancers.

So sorry you are going thru this Lacey, did they provide any other ingredients you should stay away from?

Respected Contributor

I can't eat flax seed either. Bad bruising, my skin gets really thin and will bruise like a blood blister if I barely touch something.