Super Contributor

Article ... Gray hair is hot again

Saw an article at HuffPo ...

"Gone are the days when women in their 30s, 40s and beyond would attack gray hairs with bleaches and hair dye, as if they were rogue chin hairs. No, as of late, gray is in. We're not talking just aging gracefully, we're talking about women with fully pigmented hair that are rushing to salons to get the most coveted shade of hair in town."

Back in the 1990s, Clairol had a hair dye in several "shades of gray." My sister-in-law used it.

I'll stop coloring when I'm completely white ... until that day, I'm a blonde.

Super Contributor

Re: Article ... Gray hair is hot again

I'm totally white, and my hip 30-something niece always gushes about how much she loves it. BUT, it seems like I have about half the hairs I used to! :-(

Super Contributor

Not on my head it's not!

Honored Contributor

It seems as though all forms of media are all about telling (some of) us what they think we want to hear... 'Curves' are in, gray hair is hot... whatever... Personally, I'll set my own standards and neither being significantly overweight nor having grey hair is what I aspire to...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

The last time I was at my hair stylist, she was telling me about this. She had a 20 something client come in who had gorgeous deep brown hair and insisted that she wanted it to be gray. My stylist told her how hard that process would be on her hair given the starting color and that it would more than likely cause her hair to break. She told the young woman she couldn't in good conscience do it and the woman threw a hissy fit and stomped out declaring she'd find someone who would do it.

End of the story, a few weeks later, this woman came in with destroyed ugly gray hair begging my stylist for any help she could provide.

Respected Contributor

I'm at a crossroads. I've been "hiding" the grays for many years. I'm in dire need of a dye job, but I am also in a fall-out period with my Alopecia. Trying to decide if I should just let it go, and stop all the messing around with the color? Sure would be nice, if I have to deal with fall-out periods, why can't the gray ones just fall out? Sigh........

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Valued Contributor

My hair stylist has always said that keeping the gray away adds ten years back to you. She has been totally gray since her twenties and has colored for years.

Honored Contributor

Gone are the days? uh huh, right. Just because some people like it doesn't mean that most us aren't coloring our gray away.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Mistic said:

I'm at a crossroads. I've been "hiding" the grays for many years. I'm in dire need of a dye job, but I am also in a fall-out period with my Alopecia. Trying to decide if I should just let it go, and stop all the messing around with the color? Sure would be nice, if I have to deal with fall-out periods, why can't the gray ones just fall out? Sigh........

I started with highlights at the first signs of gray and then the person who did my hair suggested just lightening the entire head a few shades to camouflage. I have light brown hair ... so I can do it with a box of dye from the drugstore ... Feria #91 colors the gray/white and lightens the light brown ... just enough to make it look like natural highlights.

And ... roots really aren't that noticeable.

Respected Contributor

I think some women look phenomenal with their gray. It really depends on your skin tone and the shade of gray you're blessed with.

My hair grows so fast. I have been totally shimmering white in the front since I was about 29 within just a couple of days of coloring the shimmer at the root is already there. The cost of the color plus the cost of the product to hide those roots until the next color is crazy. I've finally decided I'm going with a pixie cut and letting my natural frosting shimmering white grow out.