Valued Contributor

I Need Advice On My Granddaughter's Thin, Tangled Hair. She is 3

Before anyone asks what I am doing the asking....my daughter has finally acknowledged that a change has to be made but she and I are unsure of what, if anything, will help. I always come here because I can get so many good opinions

My lovely GD is 3 1/2. She has never had a haircut not so much as a trim. Her hair is all different lengths the longest being just to her shoulders....I think it has stopped growing or is breaking. My DD only wants to cut it 1 or 2 " and I don't think that will help. Any recommendations? We keep thinking it will eventually start to come in thicker but so far no.

Also could someone recommend a good drugstore children's detangler.

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: I Need Advice On My Granddaughter's Thin, Tangled Hair. She is 3

I am not an expert, but here is what I would do:

1) cut off the damaged/broken ends, ASAP

2) inspect your combs/brushes- she should have a wide tooth comb for detangling while wet (never a brush) and check her hairbrush to see if has those broken ball tips on it. If it does, it needs to be replaced as those can split hair.

3) try a product like this for conditioning-

Valued Contributor

I use normal conditioner on my children's hair. Also, if they need something extra, perfect 10 leave in conditioner is great. One of my kids has hair that is all one length. The other has curly hair and it is all different lengths. Once a child is out of the baby hair stage, they usually need conditioner; especially when their hair is getting longer. My mother would not condition my hair when I was a pre-schooler and it stayed tangled all of the time.

Trusted Contributor

Try wen kids. Takes the tangles away...bought for my grandson and he has great hair now that grows faster and is thicker. Highly recommend
Super Contributor

I would recommend trying any shampoo that is sulfate free.

I use Wen on myself and my 7 yr old. Her hair is curly and tangles when the wind blows so I get it being a PITA. You don't have to use Wen but I would highly recommend something that doesn't lather. I also put my daughters hair in braids or up in a high pony with a scrutchy (not just an elastic hair tie) at night to help from it getting tangled more at night.

Regular hair trimming will also help with tangling. See what the hair stylist says as to what she recommends be cut off.

Honored Contributor

My immediate thoughts are that she is long overdue for a haircut. Both of my daughters had fine, wispy hair when they were infants. I used to snip the ends every 3-4 weeks, and kept their hair short until after they turned 3. By then, their hair was much thicker and manageable. Johnson and Johnson makes the only detangler I am aware of.

Esteemed Contributor

Cut it short, like a pixie, and then she can let it grow back out, using a decent shampoo and conditioner, plus a leave in. No baby shampoo, that stuff is very harsh.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't cut it THAT short but if the little darling has never had a cut or a trim, her hair must be an uneven mess. Her hair is growing, everyone's hair grows. But her hair is breaking off at the ends faster than the new growth comes in. I would take her to a hairdresser for a professional cut and after that and I would indeed use WEN's kid formulation. I wouldn't wash her hair daily, no one needs that. I'd wash her hair every 4 or 5 days.

Valued Contributor

She needs to trim off the ends and use WEN kids. My granddaughter uses it never has any tangles.

Super Contributor

You can use the Tangle Teaser brush on wet hair and it will work on your grandaughter's tangles much faster than combing.

I got mine at Marshalls (its a generic like the green and lavender shown in the pic) but you can find them in Sephora, etc. the name brand is Tangle Teaser (the pink one) but there are dupes: