Valued Contributor

Does anyone else find that make-up is applied with a heavy hand in demos? Every model looks like the make-up is stencilled on. I wear make-up every day even just at home and I find lighter is better and younger looking. I'm 72 and women my age look bad when they apply too much. Younger women look like they try too hard and look harsh. Mascara is the worst. Much too heavy and not attractive IMO.

Honored Contributor

There is a certain makeup artist who, IMO, looks like a clown. Regardless of the models, I look at her when she's on and think I would never want to look like that. {#emotions_dlg.scared}I think it looks like stage makeup for dance/plays.

Esteemed Contributor

Totally agree! I want a fresh look. And I know who lolakimono is talking about!

I think they think they have to use a heavy hand in order to get it across the camera. Or, it's just what they like personally.

Respected Contributor

Well yes, the makeup on tv is applied with a heavy hand but I guess that's because they want it to be visible and distinct. If it was applied and one could barely see a difference I don't think it would sell very well. It doesn't bother me. I never apply it as heavily as shown on tv. I am 61 and I do wear a full face of makeup but I apply it sparingly.

Honored Contributor

Because these women are on TV they all wear heavier makeup because of hot lights. I met a news anchor in person at a beauty salon years ago and she was having her hair cut, etc. she had on heavy makeup and told me why and that she was going back to work. What I noticed recently that some of the models are not applying anything at all to their full face of makeup -- watch closely. I do agree with you that less is more.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I think one of the worst is the eyebrow demos. I have yet to see one where it actually looks like real brows and not drawn on or painted on brows. I personally do not like that look and would rather they have thinner, lighter brows than the fake brow/stenciled on look.

Regular Contributor
On 3/6/2015 HappyDaze said:

I think one of the worst is the eyebrow demos. I have yet to see one where it actually looks like real brows and not drawn on or painted on brows. I personally do not like that look and would rather they have thinner, lighter brows than the fake brow/stenciled on look.

ITA! I forget which makeup show I was watching recently (I think it may have been Tarte), but they were demoing their brow product and the dark haired model that they use (forgot her name, but she's also frequently used in the Wen shows and has three or four sons) looked absolutely horrible - reminded me of the Grinch.

She's an absolutely beautiful woman, but that brow product did her no favors.

Trusted Contributor

I know what you mean with the brows. The best demo I've seen is with the Ready to Wear guy on HSN. His brow product actually looked natural. I haven't tried it myself, just going by the on air demo. I don't like big drawn on looking brows at all.

Honored Contributor

This is going to sound mean, and that really isn't my intent, but what I notice is that at a distance the models look very beautiful, but on close up shots many of them really don't have very good skin. The heavy makeup application (or maybe it's the product more than the actual application) often accentuates rather than hides the imperfections.

Respected Contributor

ITA!.