Honored Contributor

Roasacea - can you use serums, oils, etc.?

Just having been recently diagnosed with Rosacea, I am floundering and still not comfortable as to what is acceptable for use and what is a total no-no.

I did post here several weeks ago asking for some input. And I appreciated all the help that I got. This is more like a follow-up session!

Do those of you who have had Rosacea for some time and are more comfortable with the problem and what works and what doesn't, have you found that you are able to use more products? Or do you have to stick to the bare minimum in order to keep this somewhat under control?

I would love to be able to use some extra products eventually. By extra, I mean, more things than just a cleanser and basic moisturizer. Things that most of us ladies like to use to get a little better looking skin as we age. Exfoilators, toners, serums, etc. - to help with firming, clarity, etc.

I find this condition so far to be very exasperating. I am using Metrogel 2ce daily and babying my skin as much as possible. One day I will be nearly clear and the next I have a lot of breakouts. Is the nature of the disease that it has many hills and valleys? I thought once you were on treatment that it kept it more under control. Maybe this is not the case. It's very discouraging!

Thanks for your replies and inputs!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Roasacea - can you use serums, oils, etc.?

I pretty much use the products I've always used. It doesn't seem to affect my Rosacea either way. Stress seems to be my trigger and my products don't seem to make the Rosacea worse.

The thing that has helped me the most is a bar of Basis Soap. Someone here had suggested it to me and I thought I'd try it. Just an inexpensive bar of soap.

I use my usual facial cleanser (Principal Secret Advanced 4 in 1 Cleanser) and then I wash my face again, very lightly and very quickly with the Basis Soap. I don't know that it does much for the redness, but I get those really hard little flaky thing with my Rosacea and it does a GREAT job getting rid of those and keeping them gone.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Evan-Healy Blue is supposed to be good for rosacea. It's not as pricey as some lines, and works on sensitivity.

There are now prescriptions to reduce redness--anything you can do to prevent the capillaries from becoming permanently enlarged will help. And of course, staying away from super-hot drinks, hot chili peppers, alcohol and overly warm water for washing your face and scrubbing too hard will help. It's very common in Northern European people and it can become disfiguring if not treated. A friend had it very bad and it really was a shame. His nose got like W.C. Fields and so you have to go gently and make sure you can take down the redness.

Frequent Contributor

Hi, I have had rosacea for years and after going through line after line of skincare products this is what works for me:

Wash morning and night with PONDS cleansing cream(light green cap) and just slightly warm water..... make sure you rinse thoroughly.

Makeup: Bare Minerals primer and liquid makeup( apply with brush).

I only use prescription ointments when I absolutely have to as they dry out my sensitive skin.

I found that doing the above ( and I have tried many very expensive lines) doesn't dry out or irritate my skin by over cleansing( stay away from the clarisonic, even on the gentle setting)and it leaves my face moist but not oily.....

Hope this helps...

Respected Contributor

Rosacea is different for everyone; I used the Clinique line when I was 1st diagnosed. Keep up w/Metrogel-it should help some. Only introduced 1new product at a time so you know right away where the flare came from. No scrubbies for me-big time flares. I've had luck w/Erno Laszlo line (soap, oil, light controlling lotion), but it is expensive; the bar of soap lasts me 6 months. Crème de la Mer moisturizer is my go to during the cold winter months. It is frustrating; keep a little notebook to keep track of potential triggers. Good luck!

Regular Contributor

Paula's Choice makes some nice products for sensitive skin/Rosacea. I love her Hydralight line, 1% BHA lotion and Skin Balancing cleanser.

Trusted Contributor

My sister had it really bad. So then she started following the JJ Virgin diet. JJ tells you to cut out 7 foods from your diet for 3 weeks (eggs, gluten, dairy, sugar and all artificial sweetners, soy, peanuts and corn). And guess what? Her rosacea is completely gone. My sis eats eggs only on occasion, and they are organic (no soy is fed to the chickens).

So it's pretty safe to say it's your diet. Like most things are.

Honored Contributor

Each rosacea case is individual. There is no known cause, but the risk factors include being a female, being fair-skinned, being between the age of 30 and 60, and having a family history of rosacea (according to the Mayo Clinic). There is a huge list of possible triggers that can cause a flare-up, so it's really a matter of experimentation.

As for skincare, I'd start with something that is fragrance- and irritant-free. Paula's Choice is a brand that does not include any fragrance or potential irritants in any of their products. And they have two skincare lines geared toward sensitive and/or rosacea skin. Their Hydralight line is more for those with oily/combo/normal skin, and their Skin Recovery line is more for normal/dry skin.

You can talk to their CS on the phone and maybe try samples of some of their recommendations. They will usually send a bunch free to a new customer. Their CS is superb.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I understand your frustration, AngelPuppy.

I have found that really gentle products that are made for sensitive skin and are fragrance free, tend to be best for me. They don't even have to be necessarily made for skin with Rosacea.

I tend to stay with gentle products that have been "tried and true" for me.

I will rotate the same products with regards to cleansers.

I like the Cetaphil cleansers. There are two types-the "milky" one, and then the other one that looks like a "baby wash." I think that it is made for normal to oily skin.

You can find store brand equivalents in those, if you like to use the store brands.

I also like the Neutrogena cleansers. There are two of them that I use. There is the one that comes in a clear bottle that is like their glycerine bar soap, except that it comes in a clear pump-type bottle, and then they have their cleanser that comes in a light blue bottle. I think that it is made for all skin types.

I also like Purpose cleanser, too.

I personally stay away from Beta Hydroxy Acids, and Alpha Hydroxy Acids. My sensitive skin cannot handle them. They are just too much for me. That's just how it is for me. Others may not even have this particular problem, but I cannot use them.

Honored Contributor

I appreciate your very kind responses. I have been trying to find different information on this condition. But its all pretty much the same. I think it's a shame that the derms. don't provide you much info or much to go on either. Not everyone is the same even if you have the same condition. A more personalized approach would be helpful. But, as usual, you're pretty much on your own. It's like --- you have this, so take this pill or use this cream --- 'bye-bye! I also think - wonder how they would feel it if were them - or their wife -- or daughter. But, unfortunately, once they get their $$$, that couldn't care less.

Yes, I am kind of depressed about all of this. I just have to add it to my list of health issues. But having to present a pimple laden complexion to yourself in the mirror and to the world at age 62 every day is just not too much fun.

I thank you all so much for your information and your compassion.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin