Honored Contributor

O/T OK Something Bothers Me, So I'll Bring It Up

Just a simple reminder. What brought it to mind was seeing Dan Wheeler with his new puppy. I'm happy he's happy.

However, I think I'd be remiss not to remind people to seriously consider getting a pet from a shelter. Perhaps consider an older pet.

Those little puppies (pure breds, like Dan's) are real cute, but there are so many dogs (and cats) that are in shelters and no one will EVER come and get them.

They can give as much (if not more) love than puppies, kittens or pure breds.

When I was looking for a cat after my Jackthecat died, I decided to get a cat at least 5 or 6 years old. I ended up getting two 6 year old cats who were/are seriously best friends. It would have been cruel to separate them.

I'm not condeming anyone for getting a pure bred animal (of any kind), I'm just saying I think QVC dropped the ball here.

They should have mentioned that there are a lot of animals that are in shelters that also need homes.

I have a lot of friends who work for some of these shelters and post on their face book pages dogs who could use a good home.

If you're looking for an animal to love, at least consider getting an older pet from a shelter.

Thanks for your time. Annabelle.

Trusted Contributor

Re: O/T OK Something Bothers Me, So I'll Bring It Up

I think adopting from shelters is the best way to go.

Respected Contributor

I think Carolyn Gracie always mentions on her Facebook page that she volunteers for the Mainline Animal Shelter in Philly. She just adopted a poodle from this shelter!

Super Contributor

ITA. We adopted our little dog. They estimated her age at 4. She's a Chihuahua mix and absolutely perfect for our family.

Super Contributor

I understand your intention, however, I disagree with your comment that QVC "dropped the ball". This was Dan's personal story of love and loss, and wasn't intended to persuade readers' decision on where to purchase their pets.

Esteemed Contributor

annabelle--I agree and you said it very well! I have noticed that many hosts, if not all have purchased pure-bred breeder dogs. Except Caroline Gracie. They show off the dogs, with no thought or regard to adopting a rescue animal. They figure that they can well afford to buy an expensive dog and that rescued animals are somehow second best. I do not understand this lack of intelligence.

Ok, now I will step off my soap box. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Super Contributor

I completely agree. I adopted a 10 year old boy a year ago. The whole time he was in foster, he didn't have even one inquiry for him. Very sad because he was completely trained, no accidents in the house, he LOVES people and is just sweet as pie. Before him, I adopted and 8 year old puppy mill dog that was in the worst shape you could imagine. To watch him get healthy and strong and come out of his shell was such a rewarding experience. Rescued pets are so grateful for the safe and loving home that you give them.

Frequent Contributor

You make quite a good point. Our Bella came from our local shelter and is the sweetest dog we could ever want. We did not know until we got her paperwork that she is a purebred elkhound. I cannot fathom why someone relinquished her but consider ourselves so blessed to have her. We have adopted many rescue dogs over the years and enjoyed each one until they passed.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Colonel Meow said:

I understand your intention, however, I disagree with your comment that QVC "dropped the ball". This was Dan's personal story of love and loss, and wasn't intended to persuade readers' decision on where to purchase their pets.

I agree.

And I think most people are well aware that there are many, many dogs in shelters who are in need of a good home.

Valued Contributor

I agree that QVC has nothing to do with Dan's personal choices. I also don't think that it is necessary to rebuke Dan or any other pet owner for having a breed preference instead of a shelter pet.