Super Contributor

I think I'm done with Bobbi Brown eye shadow palettes

{#emotions_dlg.sad}{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} Soooo tired of seeing her eye shadow palettes contain such glittery shadows. Why won't she make a matte palette or just a palette without sparkly shadows? Even some of the newer metallic and shimmer wash shadows are not pearlized like they used to be, they are a different formulation and they are glittery.

I just don't understand why she's doing so many sparkle and glitter shadows. In the last few new palettes I have looked at, there are only a couple of matte shadows in the whole palette I would use and like. It would be a waste of money to buy the palette. She includes sparkle shadows in all of her palettes now and I dislike it so much.

I do not want glitter on my eyes, being over 50. It looks ridiculous on me. I also feel the palettes are overpriced now anyway for the amount of product you get. I am also very disappointed by her new "Brightening Palette" for cheeks, new for spring-- I expected it to be, well, glowy and brightening, and instead, they are glittery and sparkly! What a letdown.

Oh well, saving me money I guess and makes me realize it is time to move on to other lines that offer what I need in shadow palettes. I'll still use and buy her lipsticks and cream shadows that I like.

Has anyone found a beautiful neutral color eye palette for spring, without sparkle in it? I would like something with taupes and creams etc., no pastels. TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: I think I'm done with Bobbi Brown eye shadow palettes

That's too bad because I think she has some of the best formulas out there. I agree 1000% that glittery/sparkily eye shadows don't look good on those of us over 50 but I also don't think they look good on anyone (unless you're on stage in a dance number)... but that's just me. She had a block of colors that included pink that I pounced on because I hadn't seen pink in a LONG time and I don't wear the browns/tans well at all (I look like I've been gardening with my face)... and I loved that brick combo. I've not seen it again so I've not been able to buy another one.

Since then, Laura Geller has come out with a Pink blush, lipstick, etc. that was gorgeous so I switched camps.

But I love Bobby Brown's formulas and would be back if I could get the colors that look good on me (I'm fair/light with blonde hair)....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Hi Ima,

My sister remembers when Bobbi Brown first introduced her make-up line and it was only neutrals & naturals. "Glittery or sparkly" was not any part of her line. I guess there is only so much neutral and natural colors you can sell. $$$

asltw

Super Contributor

Try SKINN shadows. I've been using a neutral matte palette that I have really come to appreciate. His matte colors are smooth, creamy, and well pigmented. I don't own any of his pearlized or metallic shades, so I can't speak for those. But it seems like you are only asking about mattes, anyway - correct?

Honored Contributor

Check out Stila Cosmetics online. Go to Makeup and select Phased Out Favorites. There eye shadow palettes with 10 shades and 2 maybe shimmery. Once you open the palette you are interested in, you will receive a description of each color shade. They are on sale for $20. Stila makes very nice shadows.

Laura Mercier also has really nice shadows but they cost more. She has a new palette for Spring that is really nice. I think all shades are matte. Good luck.

I personally do not mind a shimmery shadow once in a while but prefer matte.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I guess that's true. I think she's marketing to a younger group of women now and is moving away from making products for the 50+ crowd. Too bad.

Super Contributor

Thanks I have not tried SKINN and I am going to look at those as well as Laura Mercier and Stila.

Super Contributor

I would like matte, but I am not opposed to something that is a bit reflective or pearly. I just don't want glitter at all.

Super Contributor

I found this palette so far! It is the Too Faced Natural Matte palette for spring. So pretty. I am going to go look at this one at Ulta. It looks promising. I will keep looking for others.

Honored Contributor

I had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket and broke down and went to sephora. I was in search of matte eye shadow. I quickly learned that wasn't an easy request. The store had two brands that had matte shadow. The first brand was way out of my budget. The second brand was sephora brand. I bought a couple shades and got a free compact to put them in. I like the brand and may go back and get a couple more shades.