Super Contributor

Prescription Tretinoin (generic Retin-A) alternatives

My doctor gave me a prescription yesterday for Tretinoin Cream. I went to pick it up at Costco today and I was SHOCKED at how much it had gone up in price since the last time I bought it about 3 years ago. $97 for 20g and $170 for 45g!!!!{#emotions_dlg.scared} I haven't bought it yet. I told them I would have to think about this.

I am 52 and need something for refining the texture (large pores and acne scars) and firmness of my skin. I really like what Tretinoin does for my skin but the price is ridiculous! Does anyone know of a cheaper product or regimen that would address these issues?

I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much.

Super Contributor

Re: Prescription Tretinoin (generic Retin-A) alternatives

You can buy Retin A on eBay...without a prescription. I have purchased it, and it works great. It is also dirt cheap.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Valued Contributor

You can buy it here also..Someone posted this sight a week or so ago and its a legit sight..I ordered and got it already.

http://www.tarasc.com/Retin-A-p/12350.htm

Valued Contributor

Coupon for them is save15

Honored Contributor

Check out GoodRx dot com for a great coupon, if you live near a CVS. Mine was going to be outrageous, too, but with the coupon I was able to get a 45 gram tube of 0.1% Tretinoin for $65. The tube is huge. I filled it Nov. 8th and there's still a ton left in the tube. I use it about 3 nights a week.

If you want to try something that's non-prescription, the Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum is somewhat new on the market, but is getting some good reviews.

Super Contributor

Thank you, ladies.

Respected Contributor

Just my two cents but retin a is the holy grail of anti aging. MY derm told me its 20x more effective and stronger than otc retinol and yes, i have been using it prescribed for years. So,if you look at how much the otc retinol costs or other supposed anti aging creams cost as well, the price seems worth it for the real deal. I am fortunate enough to have insurance that covers it for me and yes, i only pay $10 a tube but if you can get it cheaper elsewhere, like where these ladies told you, go for it.
Trusted Contributor

I ordered from the Tara site. I got 1 tube of RetinA, 0.05%, 1 tube of 0.1%. Also ordered Careprost. Fast shipping. I used to order from All Day Chemist, but didn't want to order from them again as people were saying about getting their cards hacked.
Frequent Contributor

I was wondering where you could buy this without a prescription. Thank you for the good information. Is the gel, or, cream better? Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

I think the gel is for oiler complexions. The cream for more normal/combo skin. I accidentally ordered the gel.