New Contributor

While I was reading reviews for moisturizers on Paula's Choice, I read why she won't recommend any facial moisturizer that is in a jar. Her opinion is that once you open the jar, all the expensive ingredients start to deteriorate; therefore, we are wasting our money and not getting the benefits of the anti-oxidants. I think the majority of my skincare has been in jars, and there are many high-end lines that use jars! Does anyone have an opinion about this--would love to hear. TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Skincare packaged in jars

Well, I don't put a lot of faith in anything Paula says....... but that's just me. The products I buy on a regular basis that come in a jar get used up too fast to lose anything -- and they certainly are not expensive!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

I'm concerned about bacterial growth in the jars of skincare. How many of us wash our hands before reaching into those jars? I'm not always faithful about cleaning first.

Frequent Contributor

I've heard so many things about jars, but honestly I prefer my skin care in jars. I just like to see the product and not have to worry about how much is left, a tube splitting open or wasting product I can't squeeze out.

Trusted Contributor

I don't buy skincare products in jars. I agree with what Paula says and also I don't like dipping my hands in jars--it's messy. I prefer a tube for these reasons.

Super Contributor

On 3/2/2015 tototwo said:

Well, I don't put a lot of faith in anything Paula says....... but that's just me. The products I buy on a regular basis that come in a jar get used up too fast to lose anything -- and they certainly are not expensive!

--as long as you are using the entire jar the first time you open it, you will be fine. OP, jar packaging of certain ingredients is not based on Paula's opinion. It is based on science. You can go read plenty about the science behind skincare packaging. Some products may not contain ingredients sensitive to light/air--many do. HTH ~smiles, SnowKita
Honored Contributor

I won't use any facial products that come in a jar. I think it's unsanitary, decreases the effectiveness of some ingredients, and is messy.

And yes, I am aware that I could use a little spatula. No thanks. I'll stick with tubes and other types of dispensers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Sometimes I do worry about putting my fingers in the products that come in jars--even body lotion and cream jars. But for the products I love, I don't really care how it comes if I use it! Come to think of it, nothing I'm really using currently, skin care wise, come in a jar, except the Dr. D Dream Cream I use a couple times/week. And I do worry a bit about dipping my fingers in at night. But not that much.

Frequent Contributor

I do wonder about using jars but some of my favorite skin care comes this way. I use a little spatula and (don't laugh) hurry to get some out and shut the lid. I know that's stupid thinking because certain ingrediants probably do break down. I just can't seem to find too much in tubes that I really like.
Respected Contributor

I never put my fingers in jars. Even if they are clean there is a thin layer of oil on our fingertips that would mix with the product. I never use those little spatulas either because they would need to be washed after each use. For products in a jar, I use toothpicks. Cheap and a clean one every time.