Trusted Contributor

Could my mascara be weighin my lashes down?

I have a fairly long eyelashes, and they do have some curl, but I notice a couple of hours after applying mascara, my eyelashes tend to droop. How can I keep my lashes boosted up? Could my mascara be weighing my lashes down?
Honored Contributor

Re: Could my mascara be weighin my lashes down?

Ever since my lashes have gotten longer, I am finding I have this same issue. I can use very few of the mascaras I use to now because they weigh them down too much. Sorry I don't have any solutions really.

Super Contributor

Yes! Also, if you apply a mascara that is very "wet", it could also take down some of the curl. I hope many people hop on here with more replies, but I'll tell you what has worked for me.

First, I do have long lashes, but they are straight like my hair. I use a curler and give it two hits with that, then I'm ready for the mascara (if not wearing liner). So I don't weigh them down, but so I also keep the curl being uplifted as I apply the mascara, I slowly pull the wand through and UP and OUT and do it quickly but deliberately so I'm coating all the lashes while the mascara is beginning to set. I do both eyes and then hold both top lashes up with my index finger until I feel they have dried if I'm using a wetter mascara.

In humidity, they do fall somewhat. So I over curl. That's when the curler and holding them up really helps.

What I also found helps a lot is applying eyeliner right into the lash base before curling them. For some reason, and it's probably the eyeliner consistency, that holds them up the longest.

I purchased that new IT Mascara with the melted fibers A262389 and besides the ball at the tip of the wand being annoying (and I might snip it off), that formulation seems to hold my lashes up pretty well I've noticed. I do notice little bits of fiber which make me think I have an eyelash stuck in the wand, so that's a whole other situation lol. Mally's Volumizing Mascara in the white tube also does a good job most days. Then again, Benefit They're Real Mascara is also great, and nice and black.

That's all I've got. The best thing I have found for me is the application of eyeliner right there at the base into the lashes. I wish there were a magic mascara wand {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Trusted Contributor

I'm a mascara junkie - I have different mascaras for whatever I'm doing - and I can tell you that the best mascara I have ever used for keeping lashes straight up is L'Ancome's Hypnose WATERPROOF. It has to be the waterproof version. And it's just the original Hypnose, not the newer versions like "doll lashes" or "star". I promise you, L'Ancome's Hypnose Waterproof will not fail, the lashes will stay straight up and will remain like that until you remove it with any waterproof remover. You can go to bed and wake up and they will still be straight up. Oh, and don't forget to curl your lashes first! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Yay - Thank you TuesdayTaylor! I was SO hoping someone would have a definitive solution. Like I said, I only know what has worked so far for me....and not all times. I will definitely purchase it - took notes of the exact type! Hopefully that will be our magic mascara! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} ETA: waterproof makes tons of sense! It would keep out the humidity and the formulation has to be strong enough to hold!

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't like waterproof mascaras because they make my lashes too crunchy and I notice my lashes break off more often if I wear it.

Esteemed Contributor

I read on this forum several months ago that washable mascara tends to weigh the lashes down. It does mine; however, like some of you, I won't wear mascara that isn't washable. First of all, I wear contacts and secondly, it's really hard to get the mascara off without a lot of tugging. So ~ I just go with droopy lashes. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

I think what TuesdayTaylor said about having different mascaras for different occasions will be how I'll treat the waterproof suggestion she made. She has many mascaras for whatever she's doing and I guess in a way, I already do that too! So, I'll add the waterproof mascara she suggested for when I definitely want no drooping lashes. Having it in my arsenal of beauty tricks is just what I need because sometimes I look at my lashes and wonder why I even bothered WITH mascara that day lol.

Honored Contributor

You may want to try Aveda's Mosscara. It's not a really wet mascara like some are so you are not applying a lot of product to your lashes.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I love Lancome Hypnose Waterproof too. If you want something cheaper though Maybelline Lash Discovery and Great Lash - both waterproof - also work very well. I just need too many coats of the Maybelline - takes too long.

Also Shu Uemura eyelash curler keeps my lashes curled better than the Maybelline curler that I've used since I was a teen. I thought it was all hype because the curlers look so similar but the Shu works better.