Super Contributor

What's A Good Moisturizer Without Anti-aging Actives?

I need something to use over a retinol product that does not add more actives.

Thanks...it doesn't need to be expensive.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's A Good Moisturizer Without Anti-aging Actives?

You may want to try Simple at the drugstore. No fragrance especially made for sensitive skin so no irritants either. I received a sample and I am quite impressed. You could also look at Clinique but it will cost more.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I like Clinique moisture surge.

Trusted Contributor

Are you by chance starting the RetinoSyn 45 program? I am,too, and I think by anti aging they mean nothing that has a similar retinol in it...I also am avoiding AHA/BHA lotions at night as it could cause extra sensitivity (my skin is bullet proof but you never know!) I used Skinn Creme reverse/YPC as they don't contain retinoids...but I think any non retinol moisturizer would be ok! What is your normal night time cream?

Super Contributor

Krissy, active ingredients also include things like peptides and vitamin c. You want a plain moisturizer without anti-aging active ingredients. The actives can cause further sensitivity with the retinol.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/28/2015 cassiem said:

Krissy, active ingredients also include things like peptides and vitamin c. You want a plain moisturizer without anti-aging active ingredients. The actives can cause further sensitivity with the retinol.

I looked up the moisturizer ingredients that RetinoSyn sells to use in conjunction with their 45 day treatment and it contains peptides...I would think Vit C could irritate tho...I suppose getting a cream with no peptides may be the way to go... but so far so good with the Skinn (I may change my tune as the retinol gets stronger in the later stages Wink)

Edited to add:

RETINOSYN Ultimate Moisturizing Cream
<table style="border-collapse: collapse; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">

Ingredients: Water, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Lauryl Lactate, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax NF, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Acetyl Octa Peptide-3, Lysophosphatidic Acid, Silybum Marianum Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Retinyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Oleate, Carbomer, DEA Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Tromethamine

The moisturizer they recommend contains Retinyl and peptides

</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
Esteemed Contributor

What about Eucerin, CeraVe or Cetaphil. Those are nice and emollient moisturizers that my derms recommend daily for people on vitamin A therapies.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

On 2/28/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

What about Eucerin, CeraVe or Cetaphil. Those are nice and emollient moisturizers that my derms recommend daily for people on vitamin A therapies.

CeraVe contains ceramides. Are those considered actives?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Thanks all!

I did start the Bioscience Retinol-45.& that's important not to use a "non-aging moisturizer".

Krissy- I like the Retinol-45, 3 stage program, but one of the pumps stopped working on the 4th day...like it's empty. Will have to send it back.

But I will continue with a retinol product & need a good non-active moisturizer.

Super Contributor

On 2/28/2015 Krissy_1968 said:
On 2/28/2015 cassiem said:

I looked up the moisturizer ingredients that RetinoSyn sells to use in conjunction with their 45 day treatment and it contains peptides...I would think Vit C could irritate tho...I suppose getting a cream with no peptides may be the way to go... but so far so good with the Skinn (I may change my tune as the retinol gets stronger in the later stages Wink)

Yes, I know it contains peptides, that's why the company recommends a moisturizer without any anti-aging actives. Retino-Syn titrates their actives (both retinol and peptides) so that the actives start at a lower strength and then with each bottle they get stronger so that your skin gets acclimated to the strength of the actives to help reduce irritation. A regular anti-aging moisturizer doesn't do that. I've used Retino-Syn in the past and have watched many presentations, and when asked this question, the rep always recommends a plain moisturizer without any anti-aging active ingredients.

Edited to add: Sorry, I thought you were talking about the second step of the Retino-Syn, which also contains peptides. As for the moisturizer you were talking about, I think the amount of peptides must be very low as they formulate it to go with their system. In any case it all really depends on your skin and what it can handle. People with more sensitive skin will need to be careful.