Super Contributor
Do I use it day or night? I also use 1% Retinol and CeraVe moisturizer and an SPF moisturizer. Just not sure if I use it day or night?
Honored Contributor

Re: BHA 2% when do I apply..

It can be used either morning or night or both. I use mine at night.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I use mine both morning and night after washing my face and before I put on serums and moisturizers.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I just received samples from Paula's Choice, they sent several samples of both the AHA and BHA, the c.s. rep suggested the AHA which I have been using day and night after washing my face, the I apply hydroshield or a moisturizer. I think it is working on the flakey skin that I was complaining about on my nose.

Honored Contributor

I thought you could use it either morning or night just not at the same time as using the retinol.?

Super Contributor

I apply it at night , along with the retinol & vitamin c . I use each product only in the areas it's needed tho ......sometimes I lightly over- layer, with retinol & vitamin c . I can see how it would be drying , if several products were heavily layered . Might depend on individual skin sensitivity .
Super Contributor

What does it do that retinol won't (BHA) ? Thx

Trusted Contributor

On 2/28/2015 perryp said:

This may help answer your question:

The Difference Between Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids
There is only one beta hydroxy acid - salicylic acid. The main difference between alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acid is their lipid (oil) solubility. Alpha hydroxy acids are water soluble only, while beta hydroxy acid is lipid (oil) soluble. This means that beta hydroxy acid is able to penetrate into the pore which contains sebum and exfoliate the dead skin cells that are built up inside the pore. Because of this difference in properties, beta hydroxy acid is better used on oily skin with blackheads and whiteheads. Alpha hydroxy acids are better used on thickened, sun-damaged skin where breakouts are not a problem.

RETINOL

The name for the entire vitamin A molecule. Retinol has value for skin on several fronts: it is a cell-communicating ingredient and antioxidant. Skin cells have a receptor site that is very accepting of retinoic acid, which is a component of retinol. This relationship between retinoic acid and skin cells allows a type of communication in which the cell is told to function normally (that is, not like a damaged or older cell), and it can, to some extent, conform to that request. That's one of the reasons retinol is an exciting anti-aging ingredient.

Retinol cannot communicate with a cell until it has been broken down into retinoic acid. Some of the controversies regarding using retinol in skin-care products have been its stability in skin or in a skin-care product, whether it can be converted into retinoic acid after it is absorbed into the skin, and how much retinol is needed so that as it is changed to retinoic acid there is still enough that can get to the cell. However, within the last few years, more stable forms of retinol have become available, along with lots of impressive research regarding their efficacy.

Retinol helps skin cells create better, healthier skin cells, provides antioxidant support, and increases the amount of substances that enhance skin’s structural elements.

*taken from Beautypedia*

Super Contributor

On 2/28/2015 Krissy_1968 said:
On 2/28/2015 perryp said:

This may help answer your question:

The Difference Between Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids
There is only one beta hydroxy acid - salicylic acid. The main difference between alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acid is their lipid (oil) solubility. Alpha hydroxy acids are water soluble only, while beta hydroxy acid is lipid (oil) soluble. This means that beta hydroxy acid is able to penetrate into the pore which contains sebum and exfoliate the dead skin cells that are built up inside the pore. Because of this difference in properties, beta hydroxy acid is better used on oily skin with blackheads and whiteheads. Alpha hydroxy acids are better used on thickened, sun-damaged skin where breakouts are not a problem.

RETINOL

The name for the entire vitamin A molecule. Retinol has value for skin on several fronts: it is a cell-communicating ingredient and antioxidant. Skin cells have a receptor site that is very accepting of retinoic acid, which is a component of retinol. This relationship between retinoic acid and skin cells allows a type of communication in which the cell is told to function normally (that is, not like a damaged or older cell), and it can, to some extent, conform to that request. That's one of the reasons retinol is an exciting anti-aging ingredient.

Retinol cannot communicate with a cell until it has been broken down into retinoic acid. Some of the controversies regarding using retinol in skin-care products have been its stability in skin or in a skin-care product, whether it can be converted into retinoic acid after it is absorbed into the skin, and how much retinol is needed so that as it is changed to retinoic acid there is still enough that can get to the cell. However, within the last few years, more stable forms of retinol have become available, along with lots of impressive research regarding their efficacy.

Retinol helps skin cells create better, healthier skin cells, provides antioxidant support, and increases the amount of substances that enhance skin’s structural elements.

*taken from Beautypedia*

Excellent Krissy...Thanks!

Super Contributor

Thanks I wanted to do it day and night but I dont know if it would be to much for my skin. I notice with my retinol I can now use it every day but when I get done washing my face at night use CeraVe moisturizer then 2 hours later I put on my retinol. If I do it right after I wash my face my skin feels tight and wind burnt.