Super Contributor
Is a foundation brush really worth the investment? Watching some of the presentations (IT CC Veil specifically) and it seems to make a difference. However, I would assume you need to wash it after every use and that seems to be a drag. Any thoughts? TIA!
Honored Contributor

From personal experience, I'm a very recent convert to using a brush. I can see where the coverage is more even than when I would just use my fingertips. You can get it as sheer as you want or layer on more product until you get your desired coverage. As for cleaning the brush, I just keep some inexpensive facial wipes available and vigorously rub the brush over one when I'm done. I never quite got the hang of using a beauty blender so that's something I want to revisit one of these days.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the IT cosmetic brushes...They are the best and I highly recommend them...blend makeup very nicely!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

I do use one. I've tried with and without, and I see a big difference in how well the foundation is applied when I use a brush. So I always use one, now.

I do suggest a Taklon (synthetic) brush because they are easier to wash and they seem to not absorb as much of the expensive foundation. You can use them with cream or liquid foundation. There are several shapes of brushes--hoof-shaped and paddle are most common. I use the paddle shape, again, because it absorbs less foundation and you still can get into the nose and chin crease with it.

Sometimes I apply the foundation to the back of my hand and use that surface as a "palette" to pick up the foundation on the brush.

Frequent Contributor

I just wanted to add that I had my makeup done by a Nars makeup artist once and they apply foundation w/ the fingers b/c the warmth of your fingers helps the foundation apply better. I use my fingers first, then I use a brush to smooth the foundation out and sometimes finish w/ a beauty blender b/c it feels great on your skin. I do this routine mostly b/c I'm lazy too and I don't like cleaning brushes & sponges constantly. I sort of do a dry brush application and my brushes don't get so dirty that I need to wash them after each use. I also use different sides of my beauty blender so I don't need to wash that after each use.

Honored Contributor

Yes!!! I finally caved in a bought a few really good brushes that I did spend some $ on and it is worth the investments. You can buy good ones on Ebay but do some research first as knowing what the lingo is, is worth is. I have paid maybe $30 per brush, tops--so set your limit and go from there. I use BE products and they always come with great brushes. Also try Sephora and Ulta brands too. I have the powder foundation brush, a blush brush and a few for my eyes. If I use a bb/cc cream I use my fingers or a good make up sponge.

Super Contributor

I thought it would be a pain to wash them every day when I started using them as well. But it's not really that time consuming. I take a couple seconds to wash my brush right after using and it's dry the next morning. I started with the Real Techniques brushes - I'd recommend waiting for a BOGO sale on ULTA or picking one up with the $3.50 coupon so you can get it for under 10 dollars.

Foundation brushes do make a difference in my foundation look and coverage. I've tried more expensive brushes as well but Real Techniques brushes are just as good IMO.

Esteemed Contributor
Personally I don't like a brush. I have a good urban decay one and I find I have to wash it after every use. If I don't it doesn't apply well. I don't have time to do that after every use. I personally like a beauty blender sponge better.
Super Contributor
So helpful, thank you all!
Frequent Contributor

Coastal scents is a good place to start w/ brushes so are Real Techniques, EcoTools & ELF. They all have very reasonably priced brushes. Most are under $10. I use a Coastal scents brush that is almost identical to the IT celebration foundation brush daily. I paid $6 for mine on sale, it's so good, I bought a backup. I also use the $3 ELF powder brush daily.