Respected Contributor

Help! I was in an automobile accident and need advise from anyone that work in insurance or experienced a hit n' run

I was hit today and it was a hit and run I was rear ended in an intersection today. I was stopped at a red light and a truck plowed into me. Thing is It was at night and I have no information on the other driver for he took off. No witnesses stopped to help. Now Will i be responsible for the deductible even tho I am not at fault and the other driver is unknown? I know sometimes insurance companies will sue the other driver but in this case that person is unknown. I am quite upset for I have no savings

Respected Contributor

Re: Help! I was in an automobile accident and need advise from anyone that work in insurance or experienced a hit n' run

In our very small city they have cameras installed at intersections with lights. Did you call the police? You could put an ad in the papers asking for witnesses as I am assuming there were people around because you said ""they didn't stop to help.""

Valued Contributor

Re: Help! I was in an automobile accident and need advise from anyone that work in insurance or experienced a hit n' run

If there are no cameras at the intersection ask a business close to where it happened if they have a camera outside that might have caught it.

Honored Contributor

did you call the police and file a police report at the time of the accident?

Esteemed Contributor

((( kc )))

I'm so sorry that happened to you!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

Are you OK? Maybe someone called on their cell phone who saw it, have you reported it?
Super Contributor

Did you file a police report?

Did you take pictures of the damage to you vehicle?

Even if you don't know who the other party is, ALWAYS file a police report, the sooner, the better.

You can still call your insurance company, and they should be able to help you.

Some insurance companies have an accident forgiveness clause.

Also, did you go to the hospital to be checked out to make sure that you are okay?

Last June, I was sitting at a stop light, at about 1:30 p.m.

A 19 year old boy plowed in to the back of my truck, which pushed me in to the back of the car in front of me.

All three of us pulled over and exchanged information.

I called the cops to file a police report, and I took pictures of damage done to my truck, the vehicle in front of me, and of the Jeep Patriot that plowed in to me.

I then went to the hospital to get checked out, so that I would have a record that I was checked out, in case I had any injuries beyond the aches and pains that I was feeling.

Once I got home, I called my insurance company, and filed a claim.

A week later, I sent them the police report.

Now, because my truck was so old (1986), I didn't collect any money, but I sure had all my ducks in a row, just in case I needed any of that information for later.

Respected Contributor

I did not go to the hospital for I had no injuries. I was stationary at a red light and the impact pushed my car some 10 feet.I was wearing a seatbelt. I called the police. no whitnesses but hopefully it is on someones camera. I would assume the insurance companies and police will look into that. They stated some instances they will not charge a deduct for they will sue the other driver but noone pulled over Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

On 2/27/2015 kcladyz said:

I did not go to the hospital for I had no injuries. I was stationary at a red light and the impact pushed my car some 10 feet.I was wearing a seatbelt. I called the police. no whitnesses but hopefully it is on someones camera. I would assume the insurance companies and police will look into that. They stated some instances they will not charge a deduct for they will sue the other driver but noone pulled over Smiley Sad

I was stationary in my accident too. I was at a full and complete stop. The light was red. I couldn't move my truck. There was a car in front of me who was also at a full and complete stop, at the red light. I still went to the hospital to make sure that I was okay.

Just because you don't have injuries, aches and pains now, does not mean that you won't have them later as a result of the accident. It's always a good idea to go to the hospital to make sure that you are okay, because then, if any injuries do crop up, the other party can't say that "Well, you must not have been that injured, because you didn't go to the hospital", and thus, any $ that you might receive for pain and suffering, will be reduced.

In other words, it makes any medical claim look more legit, when you go to the hospital right away.

Valued Contributor

I am so sorry this happened to you. It is not too late to go to the hospital and get checked out. I had a similar accident seven years ago and the ripple effect of the injuries is still bothering me. When you are rear-ended,your head bounces back and forth, often causing neck and upper back injuries. You also may have hit the brake, which can cause back and leg injuries down the road.

I still get cortisone injections every couple of months for severe cervical damage; I think my recent back and leg problems can be traced back to that accident, too, but it's too late for those claims.

Go and file a police report too, even if it's after the fact.
When you are hit from behind at a stop sign, you are not to blame and your insurance company -- and maybe a lawyer -- can help you.