Trusted Contributor

Should concealer be lighter than foundation?

Do you girls use concealer that is a bit lighter than your skin color, or do you try to match your skin color? I'm new to concealer, didn't really need it until now, and I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Should concealer be lighter than foundation?

Not necessarily. You may want to watch the Eve Pearl video re her salmon concealer. I learned a great deal from this lady. I tried her concealer, which is my absolute favorite now for both under the eyes, around the nose and other darker or red areas. The salmon color is a little darker than skin tone but it blends in amazingly and hides the dark areas like a charm. Her theory, in a nutshell, (and it makes sense) is that making the dark areas lighter only accentuates them more.

Valued Contributor

Crisso, I totally agree with you. I also think it depends on what you need to address. Dark circles, bags, hollow eyes, etc.
Esteemed Contributor

I think that's an old theory that concealer should be lighter than foundation. With today's emphasis on natural looking makeup most brands have gone in the direction of making concealers an close to exact match to their related foundation color. Some also use tones in the concealer which have been used by makeup artists as color correctors for years (such as Eve Pearl's peachy salmon). Laura Mercier's Secret Camouflage and High Coverage Concealers have a little peachy undertone in them.

Super Contributor

On 2/27/2015 DJP said: Crisso, I totally agree with you. I also think it depends on what you need to address. Dark circles, bags, hollow eyes, etc.

True.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks!!