Honored Contributor

How Long Does Your Nail Polish Stay Usable?

I love getting and trying new polish colors, but when I go to use one that I haven't used in maybe a year, it's already getting thick and will leave little bubbles.

That happened yesterday, I chose one from last Spring that was a nude color, and halfway through applying the polish, it was getting too thick to look good even though I'm careful to attempt to spread it thinly.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: How Long Does Your Nail Polish Stay Usable?

I have some polishes that are well over 5 and probably closer to 8 years old. If they get thick I add a few drops of polish thinner. Usually it does the trick.

I do find butter LONDON tends to get thick more quickly than any other brand I use.

Respected Contributor

I have over 130 bottles. I mainly stick to Essie and OPI. Mine have rarely thickened over time and I've had some for upward of 4 years. If they do get thick, add a few drops of thinner or Seche Restore.

Super Contributor

I always keep my nail polish in the fridge...it keeps it from thickening and seems to apply smoother. Reva

Honored Contributor

I also bought a polish thinner for when one gets thick. (Hardly ever happens though.) That is what they do at the nail salons.

Trusted Contributor

They last for years. If it gets a little thick, like others, I add a little polish thinner.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, all!

I used polish thinner years ago but have not seen it around since then. And thank you, Rach, for the product brand name, I will look online today.

I've been just throwing them out, which is a real waste.

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 RachB said:

I have over 130 bottles. I mainly stick to Essie and OPI. Mine have rarely thickened over time and I've had some for upward of 4 years. If they do get thick, add a few drops of thinner or Seche Restore.

I love the colors from Essie and OPI, but I have thin nails that bend and the polish chips off easily. I recently got the OPI 50 Shades of Grey set, which I love, but the polish started chipping in less than 3 days. Usually, I get at least 5 days.

What works best on me, where I know I will get a week's wear, is Sally Hansen Salon Manicure polish. Not fancy, I know, and a limited selection, but it stays on me the best. After the disaster with 50 Shades, I ordered three new colors online from Sally.

What does help me is using OPI Nail Envy as a basecoat and Essie's "Good To Go" on top of my topcoat.

Esteemed Contributor

I tend to only have no more than three nail colors, along with a top, base, and treatment product. My present method of preservation is the refrigerator.

Over the years I have used whatever I had on hand. Usually this was polish remover, specialty polish thinner, and in the I don't recommend this dumb trick category -- held the bottle over a low flame on the stove to loosen thick polish.

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 Trix said:

I tend to only have no more than three nail colors, along with a top, base, and treatment product. My present method of preservation is the refrigerator.

Over the years I have used whatever I had on hand. Usually this was polish remover, specialty polish thinner, and in the I don't recommend this dumb trick category -- held the bottle over a low flame on the stove to loosen thick polish.

ITA {#emotions_dlg.w00t}