Trusted Contributor

Is Anyone Able To Use a Moisturizer/Anti Aging Product on Their Neck that You Can't on Your Face?

Weird question I know. One would think that the skin on the Face and Neck are the same or at least similar in what ingredients they tolerate or don't. But I cannot use products with Dimethicone/silicones on my face but I can on my neck. I still get bumps on my neck, but I don't break out. I do break out AND get bumps on my face if I use products with dimethicone/silicone, and sometimes products that don't even have those ingredients are okay on my neck but not on my face. Any resident experts here on BB that can explain why? I end up trying to use products that don't work for my face on either my neck, body or hands but it is so annoying! TIA.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Able To Use a Moisturizer/Anti Aging Product on Their Neck that You Can't on Your Face?

Well, there are products specifically for use on the neck area, not the face, if that's what you mean. I use Denese's Triple Defense Neck Wrinkle Cream. But are you asking about just one product that can be used on the face and neck area? I've read here on the boards that Marula oil has anti aging properties, I also like Rose Hip Seed Oil. I don't see why you can't use your face cream on your neck area, but the skin texture may be different. Unless they're just telling us that so we fork out more money for additional productsSmiley Happy.
Regular Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Able To Use a Moisturizer/Anti Aging Product on Their Neck that You Can't on Your Face?

I use separate products on my face and neck. I have sensitive combo skin and if I use anything that's too rich on my face I break out. But my aging neck needs a lot more moisture. It's a pain but better than having breakouts on my face or an old dry wrinkly looking neck. LOL.

Super Contributor

I've had several creams that have irritated my neck before my face. For me my neck skin is more sensitive than my face.

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 myshell624 said:

I've had several creams that have irritated my neck before my face. For me my neck skin is more sensitive than my face.

Yeah, things I use on my face irritate my neck. I usually take anything that doesn't work on face and use it on my hands or, if it didn't break me out, on my chest.

Super Contributor

I always thought that was a marketing ploy to sell more products. I've never put any type of lotion on my neck and I'm just now starting to see wrinkles. I guess I need to start looking into stuff to put on it.

Trusted Contributor

Okay, to clarify, I wasn't saying anything about a separate product specific to my neck. I have used a specific neck cream although I am not currently. And I always have used the same serums and creams on both neck and face. What I meant was that many products I try on my face break me out so I end up using them on my neck and decollete and they do not break me out there. I'm wondering why my face would break out but my neck & chest don't. I'd think they are the same skin type so that wouldn't happen. Has anyone else found that to be the case also?

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 myshell624 said:

Same goes for me and my neck and chest area, much more sensitive than my face. I am able to use 4% Hydroquinone on my face with no issues, but my chest gets all broken out from it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/26/2015 UMDTerpFan said:

Weird question I know. One would think that the skin on the Face and Neck are the same or at least similar in what ingredients they tolerate or don't. But I cannot use products with Dimethicone/silicones on my face but I can on my neck. I still get bumps on my neck, but I don't break out. I do break out AND get bumps on my face if I use products with dimethicone/silicone, and sometimes products that don't even have those ingredients are okay on my neck but not on my face. Any resident experts here on BB that can explain why? I end up trying to use products that don't work for my face on either my neck, body or hands but it is so annoying! TIA.

I'm just wondering exactly what you are doing when cleansing your facial skin?

My theory is that if we do not expand that pore wall via warm water/steaming, we are not going to get all the debris out. I'm also of the opinion that cone type ingredients are really too large to cause those breakout problems. (Remember there was quite a discussion about it recently in another thread.)

So, if that's the case, then method may be contributing to cone problems.

Like I said, it's only a theory. Some have contended that they indeed break out with cone ingredients.

You still have pores on your neck, as you do on the rest of your body. (Not on palms or soles.) I think those cone type ingredients are pretty inert, and therefore, you can easily tolerate them elsewhere. ....?.....

As far as bumps on your neck....it took me a long acclimation period to be able to tolerate AHAs on my neck. When I went through that period, I had a little discomfort with i+t+c+h-ing. But now my skin is totally smooth, and also with no crepiness anywhere, and of course, there is no side effect, even as my new skin cells emerge.

Trusted Contributor

UMDTerpFan: I think the texture and pores on our face are more prone to acne breakouts. I occasionally breakout on my face but have rarely had problems with neck/chest area with creams. I have to be careful with what I use on my face.