Valued Contributor

Has anyone here taken Oracea for their Rosacea? (I'm a poet! ;))

Hi Ladies,

This might be *slightly* OT, or better suited for the Health forum. But it's still Beauty, so I dunno. {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Anyhoo, has anyone here taken Oracea for their Rosacea (or other skin issues)? My Derm has recommended it on top of a few topical treatments that I'll be using. I would say that my Rosacea is mild-moderate and primarily affects my nose and upper cheek areas. It's certainly nothing horrible, but it's annoying. And I've always trusted my Derm's recommendations. However, this is the first time she's recommending an oral treatment. And as someone who only, thankfully, has to take one other med on a regular basis, I do not like the idea of adding more to the mix. So, I'd like to know your experience with this. Any side effects, etc? Has it truly helped to treat your Rosacea? I've been researching and know some of the facts, of course. But I would love to know your experience with this.

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone here taken Oracea for their Rosacea? (I'm a poet! ;))

Oracea is a tetracycline antibiotic. Tetracyclines are often used to treat infections, however this formulation has not been evaluated in the treatment or prevention of infections.

This has been used for years to treat various skin ailments, I can not seem to find the dosage info, it seems to be a very low daily dosage

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

Hi oxox-

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, my doc said it is a very low-dose antibiotic. And mentioned that it is such a low dose that they don't even classify it as a antibiotic at this dosage? I guess they were trying to say that it is not harmful in any way. But all meds have side effects, right? I'm still researching, but so curious about other beauties' experiences.

Occasional Contributor

My dermatologist prescribed Mirvaso for my rosacea. It's very, very expensive, but it has helped a lot.

Respected Contributor

I believe the dose is 40 mg. I took it for about 3 years as none of the topicals helped my skin. I saw a big improvement on the Oracea but it takes a few weeks to see results. Google Oracea and you willl find all the info you want. I never had any side effects but I discontinued it about a year ago. I believe it's to be taken in the morning on an empty stomach.

The prescription was not cheap on my insurance, and the derm gave me a card with a code from the manufacturer that brought the cost to $25/month copay. I also found this discount on the manufacturer's website.

I went on to use Buzz On Acne and that has worked pretty well in keeping my moderate rosacea under control.

Valued Contributor

Hi Pinky-This is really good to know. I just called my pharmacy to ask about the cost. And it's a $30/Co-pay. If it works, great, but if I can get my Rosacea under control with the other recommendations and stuff she recommends, then I will try that first. I have to admit that part of my hesitance to start this med is that I have a problem remembering to take them! I used to take more supplements and vitamins years ago. And now I just take two and for whatever reason I have to really have a structured morning routine in place in order to remember!{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Bobbimom-Hi & Welcome! I will google the Mirvaso. I'm assuming it's an antibiotic as well? Thanks for the reply. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I couldn't take it. It just made feel so weird and ""off"".

Contributor

Hi there, I took Oracea for a few weeks and unfortunately that was all I could bear because of the nausea. My stomach was churning so loud that other people could hear it. Now that could just be me--other people clearly have luck with it. I was surprised that such a low dose antibiotic could have such an effect. Wish it had worked out because my rosacea is getting progressively worse. Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Frequent Contributor

Hi glmama, I have rosacea too- not real bad but enough to be a real annoyance. I'm the same as you about taking any meds, I have low dose doxycycline but I don't take it because I'm weird about taking anything unless I absolutely have to. I just went through a tube of finacea gel but I'm not sure it did much. I also have metro gel but that seems to make me redder yet--UGH! Can I ask what products you were prescribed and what you use for cleanser & moisturizer??
Trusted Contributor

I have had rosacea for 30 years. I have used Oracea in the past but because of the cost a few years ago my insurance company wanted me to use doxycycline 50 mg. It does the same thing, so I use it sparingly when I need it. I also use Finacea occasionally. I have found that cutting out dairy from my diet has helped tremendously. I also use Mirvaso for redness but only for special occasions.