Valued Contributor

Hi everyone, I am looking for some feedback on the Julep Maven club. If you have used it or get it now can you tell me your experience? I thought it used to be 3 full size polishes every month. But it seems now this isn't the case????? Thanks for shedding any light on this that you can.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Julep Maven Information....

I joined when the Maven program first started and I really liked it then just for the reason you asked about - nail polish. Over the past year or so since they have been bringing skin care, cosmetics, etc. into their product line and consequently putting them in as choices in the different Maven boxes I'm not buying as many monthly boxes. They added a new feature awhile back so you can "edit" your monthly box to kind of mix and match what you want in it. I've skipped the last two months because there was more other "stuff" than good nail polish colors so I couldn't put together a box I really wanted to spend the money on. One thing to note - if you skip the current month's maven box you can't shop in the secret store when it opens at the first of the next month. Since they are putting so much non-nail polish items in boxes now the secret store was the best way to actually get polish colors you want at a good price. I'm cancelling my Maven membership. There are so many good nail polish companies now and since QVC has the new $3.00 shipping fee for beauty items - I think we have a great variety of polish brands and colors here (including Julep) so I think I will be better off ordering the Julep polish here.

Super Contributor

I agree - I've been a maven for over 2 years and it DID used to be all about nail colors/nail products but in the last year or so it's changed to include a variety of other skincare/cosmetic items that don't interest me in the least as I'm happy w/ the products I already have in those categories. I've skipped quite a few boxes in the last few months and will likely cancel soon because it just isn't something that interests me anymore.

Honored Contributor

I was a maven a few years back and it was 3 products, usually two polishes and a nail or face product.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Contributor

The program limits the number of "skips" (i.e., monthly boxes they do not have to purchase) new mavens are permitted. I think julep gives new mavens one "skip" every six months or so. So, it can up being pretty expensive to remain a maven, and you might end up purchasing items you don't want to remain a maven.

Contributor

Julep again now allows all accounts to skip, however often they want. Also, you are still allowed to shop the secret store (even if you skip) you just don't get the very first access. I've been a maven for 3 years and have always stayed a member because there is always a skip option so I never saw a reason to cancel.

Honored Contributor

I quit more than a year ago. (it was before you could edit your box) It had gotten to the point that I'd like only one polish in the offer. I was skipping more months than I was accepting. Also, I received 3 offers where a bottle had broken at the neck, creating a mess. When I called, I was told it was the nature of their product due to the fact they used hand blown glass bottles. They wanted me to send them pictures of the broken items. I said I could not be bothered with proving their design flaw.

The quality of their polish was nothing special and the bottles held less than other brands in the same price range.

Super Contributor

I've been a Maven for a while now. I'm not thrilled with the nail polish, it's average, but the colors are often unique so I've maintained my membership. I'm one of those who is really happy about the addition of their cosmetics since I love makeup, too. The cosmetics are full size and so far, I'm impressed with the quality of their makeup. It's better than the polish.

If you want to join strictly for nail polish, I would say pass. The polish is nothing special and those bottle don't hold much polish at all. Better to take the money and buy polish colors you know you'll love, better quality. Formula X at Sephora has lots of unique colors and finishes. Sinful Colors at Walgreens is remarkably good. I would say 80% of the colors are winners which is the same percentage (for me) as OPI, Essie, Sally Hansen. This week Sinful Colors is on sale for 99 cents.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 MonkeyToes2 said:

The program limits the number of "skips" (i.e., monthly boxes they do not have to purchase) new mavens are permitted. I think julep gives new mavens one "skip" every six months or so. So, it can up being pretty expensive to remain a maven, and you might end up purchasing items you don't want to remain a maven.

I've gotten two boxes and have skipped the last 3, so I don't know about that.

You can choose a box with only nail polish or a box that will have beauty products and a polish. You can also preview the box each month and swap out colors or products if you want. It's very customizable.

Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Veronique819 said:

Julep again now allows all accounts to skip, however often they want. Also, you are still allowed to shop the secret store (even if you skip) you just don't get the very first access. I've been a maven for 3 years and have always stayed a member because there is always a skip option so I never saw a reason to cancel.

Thanks for correcting my outdated info! I remember in Spring 2014, Julep limited skips for new mavens. Glad to hear they're no longer doing that. It makes the program more attractive.