Valued Contributor

Because of continuing skin issues, my Derm said I need to use fragrance free detergent, body soap and body lotion.

I'm wondering now, beside synthetic fragrance, does that include essential oils as well?

I thought I might throw that out here first to see if anyone has experience with this.

Valued Contributor

Re: Need to Be Fragrance Free

I would suggest asking your derm to be sure, but since essential oils are made from plants' aroma compounds, I would think you would want to avoid. I can tell you that a good friend went to a dermatologist last year after suffering many icky skin issues. Turns out that the essential oils she was using on her skin and hair were causing the problems. She was convinced that "natural" plant fragrance wouldn't impact her the way synthetic fragrance would, but her derm told her otherwise. Once she stopped using the oils, she was fine.

Respected Contributor

Keep in mind that there is a difference between ""fragrance free"" and ""unscented."" Fragrance Free means that there are no ingredients in the product that have a scent. Unscented means that other ingredients may have been added to mask/cover-up any ingredients in the product that may have an apparent scent otherwise.

Valued Contributor

On 2/25/2015 AspenGrove said:

I would suggest asking your derm to be sure, but since essential oils are made from plants' aroma compounds, I would think you would want to avoid. I can tell you that a good friend went to a dermatologist last year after suffering many icky skin issues. Turns out that the essential oils she was using on her skin and hair were causing the problems. She was convinced that "natural" plant fragrance wouldn't impact her the way synthetic fragrance would, but her derm told her otherwise. Once she stopped using the oils, she was fine.

Ohh, I've got quite a collection of essential oils. I'll have to remember to ask the Derm when I go back on the 11th. Thanks!

Valued Contributor

On 2/25/2015 RachB said:

Keep in mind that there is a difference between ""fragrance free"" and ""unscented."" Unscented means that there are no ingredients in the product that have a scent. Fragrance free means that other ingredients may have been added to mask/cover-up any ingredients in the product that may have an apparent scent otherwise.

I hadn't thought of that but you're right. The Dove sensitive skin body wash sample they gave me to try has ""neutralizing fragrance agents"". Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Call your doctor's office about the essential oils. There are so many products out there that are fragrance free now. I have been using fragrance free clothes soap for over 30 years. You are probably better off with organic products like oils for facial moisturizer/hydration.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

On 2/25/2015 RachB said:

Keep in mind that there is a difference between "fragrance free" and "unscented." Unscented means that there are no ingredients in the product that have a scent. Fragrance free means that other ingredients may have been added to mask/cover-up any ingredients in the product that may have an apparent scent otherwise.

Actually, to the best of my knowledge and according to my derm, it's the reverse. Unscented means a masking agent has been used to cover up any fragrance. Fragrance-free means it's free of added fragrance although there may be fragrance if natural oils, etc. (due to their nature) are used in the product.

I was tested for cosmetic allergies, and among other things, I'm allergic to the Fragrance II compounds. I read labels like crazy now.

Respected Contributor

On 2/25/2015 RedRedHair said:
On 2/25/2015 RachB said:

Keep in mind that there is a difference between "fragrance free" and "unscented." Unscented means that there are no ingredients in the product that have a scent. Fragrance free means that other ingredients may have been added to mask/cover-up any ingredients in the product that may have an apparent scent otherwise.

Actually, to the best of my knowledge and according to my derm, it's the reverse. Unscented means a masking agent has been used to cover up any fragrance. Fragrance-free means it's free of added fragrance although there may be fragrance if natural oils, etc. (due to their nature) are used in the product.

I was tested for cosmetic allergies, and among other things, I'm allergic to the Fragrance II compounds. I read labels like crazy now.

That's what I thought, too, RedRedHair!

Respected Contributor

On 2/25/2015 RedRedHair said:
On 2/25/2015 RachB said:

Yes, you're right....sorry about that. And I did know that, just didn't come out right. That's what I get for typing while eating my lunch!

Valued Contributor

On 2/25/2015 KatCat1 said:

Call your doctor's office about the essential oils. There are so many products out there that are fragrance free now. I have been using fragrance free clothes soap for over 30 years. You are probably better off with organic products like oils for facial moisturizer/hydration.

I'll be going back on 3/11 and will ask about the essential oils. She did say my skin is dry and I must moisturize. I was wondering about using Jojoba, GrapeSeed, Almond oil etc. Thanks!