Super Contributor

My skin is thinner and lighter now that I'm more mature....I've had a comment or 2 on how I look tired or depressed and I blame my makeup for that.

My problem is when I put on eye makeup it just fades into my eyes. It seems no matter how much I put on it just doesn't look like I have makeup on. Even mascara doesn't do much for me. If I put too much liner on it just looks odd. I've tried high end products (bobbi brown) to cheaper drug store shadows, they all do the same thing.

Any helpful tips on looking my age, not younger, not older, just my age.

Honored Contributor

Re: Eye makeup help for over 50

Have you ever tried an eyeshadow base or primer? There are several on the market, but I prefer the eyeshadow base by NYX. It will keep your eyeshadow in place until you take it off at night.

Honored Contributor

You should go to a very reputable make up counter and ask for advice. Maybe Nordstrom---I see ladies behind the counters that are 50 -ish and altho they wear a lot more make up than I do, they would know what they like and why. Also I have had some great help at Ulta. I'm 60 and even tho those girls are very young, they seem to know their stuff too.

Super Contributor

I'm older than you and getting fairer as each day goes by ... all I wear is a bit of taupe or gray or light brown shadow ... that's it for eye makeup.

I have fair skin, light eyebrows and blonde hair now with white streaks ... mascara makes me look grotesque.

I even stopped dying my eyebrows ... the darker brows started to look like caterpillars crawling on my forehead.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the Nyx Shadow Base, if you haven't tried a primer. I use the matte white or the pearl white & they are both great for keeping shadow on & in place. Then play with the colors that you have. I am finding that I look better in my dotage with a deeper color on my lid, instead of a lighter, brighter color. I definitely need eyeliner, but I have to get it just right. Not too dark, but deep enough to define my eyes. I also have to keep the line fairly thin or it gets in the way of my baggy crease. Speaking of my puffy, baggy crease I use a mid tone satin or matte color that is a bit deeper & warmer than my natural skin tone to camouflage that area & soften the look of the lid color. It also is pretty to smudge out the lower liner with that same color. Some days cream colors look better. Some days powder shadows look better. I don't know why. I just go with it. Mascara makes the hugest difference for me. I love piling on my mascara! Oh & eye brows. Do you fill in your eye brows? It also makes the eye area look polished & bring attention to your eyes.

Regular Contributor

In January I spent some time viewing YouTube videos and found two that helped me with the same issue. Under "Make-up For Older Women" there is a video with Tricia Cusden titled "Face Make-up For a Fresh and Youthful Look". Using make-up I already had, the techniques shown here for primer/make-up/concealer/highlighter/blush made a huge difference in opening up my eyes (in appearance) and setting me up for my eye make-up application.

In Pixiewoo dot com, there is a video titled "Mature/Hooded-Eye Make-Up Tutorial". Although the demonstrator is young the techniques were spot-on.

I did not need any new product or brushes and it made all the difference in results.

Honored Contributor

There are lots of videos that can help you. You may want to check out the YouTube channels for HotAndFlashy and Tricia Cusden.

Here are a few sample videos with women over 50 - some considerably over 50, I think.

Lisa Eldridge's video on makeup for mature skin: http://youtu.be/f-SZA1tkViU

Tricia Cusden's video on makeup for mature skin: http://youtu.be/G05plVLOzdg

Tricia Cusden's video focusing more on eyes: http://youtu.be/ohen8_Qq2jA

HotandFlashy's playlist for makeup videos for women over 50: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyL1L38FXPpt5F9w2wm-VyCEowfSzBo-g

This one is by Jordan Liberty and he has some great tips about colors and textures to use or avoid, like mixing matte and satin finish eye shadows so you don't get a flat look. Oh, and his model is Louann, from QVC. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}
http://youtu.be/PqmbetNVxEk

Super Contributor

I use Two Faced eye shadow prime. It really helps the color stay on. Good luck.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

I will have to buy a primer. I missed that step. Also, the video suggestion was a big help.

I just need to work on coming up with a new way to apply makeup.

Honored Contributor

Here's a tip and I'm older than you. Use a light shade of eye shadow just on the lid like an almond, light pale gray, etc. & some mascara. Use some blush and wear a lipstick or gloss with some color. Nudes make you pale unless you have on tons of eye makeup. Good luck. P.S. Exfoliate once or twice a week too and start using Marula oil.

kindness is strength