Super Contributor

Thoughts on Mary Kay products?

A friend of mine sells Mary Kay and I thought I might try some of her skin care and cosmetics. Has anyone tried her line? I'd really like to hear your opinions!
Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts on Mary Kay products?

I like Mary Kay and have used some of her products for years. Here are a few: I use her Timewise cleanser every morning, I use the eye makeup remover, I like the moisturizer with SPF for a sunscreen, and I like her Satin Hands system. I don't use a whole lot of the "color" items in her line, but I do like her Bronze eyeliner. I try other things from time to time! Smile

Super Contributor

Thanks Beach Mom. I think I might try the Timewise cleanser. I do have her cleanser brush--a fraction of the cost of a Clarisonic.
Super Contributor

P.s. Apologies for the duplicate thread post. I don't know how to delete it.
Respected Contributor

Beautipedia reviews the brand and individual Mary Kay products. You might try that site for specifics. I refer to it often although I also use my own judgement.
Frequent Contributor

I was invited to a MK party in November and bought the entire Timewise Repair system (serum, daytime, nighttime, eye cream, cleanser.) I thought that I was purchasing it just to help out the seller but for me this is the best skin care system I've ever used. I have oily skin (tends to breakout) and haven't had any breakouts since I started using this system. Actually repurchased the entire set (from ebay) for a lot less when the first set ran out, but I will continue to use these products! I now use the foundation, too, and all of it works beautifully. My skin has truly never looked better {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

I used to use Mary Kay when my sister could get it for me half price. I liked the products well enough, especially the Timewise cleanser, but I can't justify paying $20 for a cleanser. I didn't really care for the serums that much. The color products are nice enough but again, the regular prices are just too high. I only used it because I got the discount.

Honored Contributor

Contributor

I love their eye cream and their body lotion is the only thing that's helping my dry skin this winter; I just ordered 2 more tubes. Their lipsticks in the silver tube are really nice and in their regular formula, I love the color sunset!

Respected Contributor

I feel sort of torn on MK products. Some are very very good-- the microabrasion cream, the self-tanner (light moisturizer and self tanner) and the lip gloss and lipstick are lovely.

The gals that sell MK buy it and then resell at "retail" and the price is equivalent to department store pricing. Then if they aren't making it as a reseller, somehow, the inventory ends up on ebay, for example, and you can find your faves at a lower price.

There are websites devoted to complaints about working as an MK rep. But people can be very loyal to their products--my best friend uses only MK and she looks fabulous and is often in the public eye and always looked very well made up and elegant.

I have two issues: I don't like to be over charged and make up is always expensive, no matter WHO is selling it. I find the sets here on QVC are price-worthy when you get a TSV from a line you like. (I like Mally and a few LG products. Tarte is pretty good, too.)

The second issue is that they reformulate frequently not only the products, but the shapes of the refills, meaning you have to buy new compacts. I liked a particular lip gloss--a really beautiful color in a deep pink mauve with a brown overtone. It was great for day wear. They discontinued it and nothing new is similar enough to it to warrant my continuing to use the line. I get very annoyed with things I like, that are "basics" are discontinued. It was a huge seller, and they just dispensed with it. So companies that do that really don't care about their customers.