Honored Contributor

Coconut Oil is Good for many things!

Coconut oil is the perfect moisturizer because it’s lightweight and easily absorbed – oh, and it smells like cookies Smiley Happy Below, are 10 ways to incorporate it into your beauty routine:

1.) Makeup remover: Coconut oil will gently remove your makeup – just make sure to rinse it off after! Place some on a cotton pad and rub gently in circles around your eye area to get rid of makeup.

2.) Hair softener: Use coconut oil as a DIY hair mask to soften your hair and add moisture. Just scoop it out and apply to your hair, focusing on the ends (girls with oily hair can avoid the root area altogether). You can leave it in for 30 minutes or even sleep with it in overnight – just put a towel over your pillow so you don’t stain your sheets! Rinse it out in the shower and shampoo and condition as usual – your hair will be oh-so-soft afterwards.

3.) Shaving cream: Give yourself a smooth shave by using coconut oil in place of your normal shaving cream. This is a great idea for those of you who have sensitive skin and may be sensitive to all the chemicals in normal shaving creams.

4.) Frizz-tamer: Use a tiny amount of coconut oil to smooth down flyaways and add shine to your locks.

5.) Moisturizer: The fatty acids in coconut oil helps lock moisture into the skin, so smooth some over your elbows and other rough spots to soften and heal.

6.) Cuticle oil: If your nail beds have been looking a bit dry and ragged, just dab some coconut oil on them. Do this before bed and put on gloves – you’ll wake up to soft, smooth digits Smiley Happy

7.) Body scrub: Make your own body scrub by combining coconut oil with brown sugar. Coconut oil also has anti-fungal properties, so it makes a great foot scrub too!

8.) Face scrub: Add some baking soda to your coconut oil for a gentle face exfoliator. You might feel a bit of residue after rinsing, but the oil will absorb into your skin after a few minutes.

9.) Eye cream: Coconut oil is great for hydrating the gentle skin around your eyes – it’ll leave your eye area baby soft and decrease signs of wrinkles.

10.) Face wash: Some girls swear by this method – simply replace your normal face wash with coconut oil and see smoother, clearer skin. However, it’s best to test this out before committing; there are others who claim that coconut oil breaks them out!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Super Contributor

Re: Coconut Oil is Good for many things!

Those are wonderful uses of coconut oil. But...let's not forget our health, too! While there is still a lot of research to be done on coconut oil, research is showing that it contains short and medium chain fatty acids. Excess long chain fatty acids that are in most other oils are stored as fat in the body.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Coconut oil is wonderful! I use it mostly for cooking. It is so healthy.

Virgin coconut oil has a very long history of being good for us. It fell victim to a campaign of lies by the soy oil industry a few decades back & still has not recovered.

CO is high on the comedogenic list; it can clog pores & cause skin problems for some.

Trusted Contributor

I'm one of those people that absolutely cannot use coconut oil on my face at all, otherwise I get a massive breakout.

I also wish people would stop recommending the use of baking soda as a facial scrub. It's far too alkaline and disrupts the skin barrier.

Here's a link to an article that you can copy/paste into your browser that explains this concept: https://www.futurederm.com/2013/10/24/why-you-absolutely-should-not-use-baking-soda-as-an-exfoliator...

Respected Contributor

I use it on the little one's bottoms when they get a rash. It doesn't sting & it heals them up so quickly. I also use coconut oil when something causes my dermatitis on my eye lid to flair up. It heals that overnight, usually, too.

We do use it to cook with, also.

Honored Contributor

Although I've been using coconut oil on my hair since I was a baby (my mom used it on me and I still use it to this day) and I use it as a makeup remover when needed, I wouldn't ever use it for skincare on my face. I like to eat it too, I use it instead of butter on my toast and even my dogs get about a tbs a day.

Respected Contributor

Someone on these forums recommended CO for keeping gums healthy.

I take 1 tsp before flossing/brushing my teeth first thing in the morning. I roll it into a ball and swish it in my mouth 5-7 minutes. Then I spit it out on a paper towel (never down the drain as this would cause a major problem). Next visit to the dentist, I expect to get good news.

My son has psoriasis and applies it to the burning, itchy, red areas and it helps soothe. He is on medication, but this takes the sting and pain away throughout the day. It doesn't leave a heavy coconut smell because it quickly absorbs into the skin.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Also good for feminine dryness after menopause, use externally.

Respected Contributor

On 2/21/2015 River Song said:

I'm one of those people that absolutely cannot use coconut oil on my face at all, otherwise I get a massive breakout.

I also wish people would stop recommending the use of baking soda as a facial scrub. It's far too alkaline and disrupts the skin barrier.

Here's a link to an article that you can copy/paste into your browser that explains this concept: https://www.futurederm.com/2013/10/24/why-you-absolutely-should-not-use-baking-soda-as-an-exfoliator...

Thank you for mentioning that. Also CO is a 4 out of 5 on the comedogenic scale. It is very likely to clog pores on your face. There are better oils for your face. Hemp, sunflower are both "0" and there are plenty of others.
Honored Contributor

On 2/21/2015 River Song said:

I know, I cringe every time I see someone posting about this.