Trusted Contributor

When you color your hair at home is it dirty, clean, product, no product?

What's the best way for at home hair coloring? Is it OK if there are hair products (spray gels, etc.) in the hair or should it be product-free?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: When you color your hair at home is it dirty, clean, product, no product?

I think it should be relatively product free.

Today is Wednesday; I just did roots this a.m. The last time I washed my hair (S&C) was on Monday. Other than Chaz's styling things on wringing wet hair, I don't use any other styling aids (sprays or mousses) that gum anything up, and so a day in between worked out well for me.

But it's also the S&C that really makes a difference in the quality of my hair. Before I found the Cupuacu line, I would have to root the very next day after a wash.

Honored Contributor

Usually I do it in the morning, so whatever I put in it yesterday is still in there. Usually I use a leave in conditioner and some kind of curl product.
Respected Contributor

It depends upon your hair type, how it takes the color, and color type used. I have super fine, super thick hair that needs a good permanent, ammonia based hair color for it to take well regardless of the shade I'm doing. I use a medium vibrant red 5RR Vidal Sassoon color. I usually last wash my hair on a Thursday and color on a Sunday so my naturally oily hair can protect itself. I brush my hair well each day with a boar bristle brush to pull the oil from the scalp through the hair. My hair is really healthy and not damaged from the color and heat tools I use. My hair is between my chin and my shoulders.

Most people would color two days after they wash or after they do a precolor protein moisture pack like a Joico Pack...I think that is how to spell it. Sallys carries it. This helps to protect the hair and provide for even color absorption.

Respected Contributor

I wash my hair the day before, air dry, no products used, color it next day , don't if that is good or not but I've convinced myself it it

Contributor

Usually dirty with all kinds of product in it. Never had a problem. Clean hair works too thoughWink.

Either way, it's just fine per my mom who taught cosmetology for 40 years, and my current, young, and up-to-date stylist (who specializes in color).

Super Contributor

I color my hair with hairspray and texturizer in it ( I usually color at night after work). I wait a day and a half before washing it, but I run conditioner thru it immediately after coloring it and the next day.

Esteemed Contributor

I do a root touch up every week. I do get a better result if there's little product in my hair but it doesn't mean I will wash my hair beforehand if it's dirty. I don't pull the color through my hair at all, it's roots only and hair around the hairline with half a box of hair color.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/18/2015 TY said:

I do a root touch up every week. I do get a better result if there's little product in my hair but it doesn't mean I will wash my hair beforehand if it's dirty. I don't pull the color through my hair at all, it's roots only and hair around the hairline with half a box of hair color.

Do you mix the whole bottle and save the other half for the next week?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Super Contributor

Since I use Revlon Colorsilk at only $2.97 from Walmart, I touch up my roots every 3 wks. I've been told by a past hairstylist that color can 'take' even with hairspray, gel, mousse, etc... no need to wash it first. In fact, I remember her saying that it shouldn't be on freshly washed hair for some reason.

I usually do mine after work so I'm sure it's odd that one day I have a slightly lighter shade and the next it's my nice, vibrant Medium Auburn again!!