Contributor

When good make up goes bad...

Ok some make up you can tell is bad, those are easy to pitch, but others how do you know when it is time to say goodbye? I have a lot and I cannot possibly use them all in 3 years, but I don't want to just toss them either, and I am a make up snob and almost never buy drugstore, so this is another reason I don't want to pitch them too soon.
Valued Contributor

Re: When good make up goes bad...

The only thing I really pay attention to as far as an expiration date is mascara. I, too, am a high-end hoarder (not that you called yourself that!). Unless you're dipping your fingers into foundation bottles, I think they can last years. Lipsticks go bad when they start smelling funny, but I have many that are really old and are still fine.

Honored Contributor

When I buy makeup I use a sharpie pen and write the date on it somewhere. At 6 months it all gets pitched - I have good , healthy skin and don't need to start getting any infections from old MU. Since we snowbird home to Pa each spring and back each fall now it is easy to just get new stuff when we arrive each time. But I still date it. IMO - keeping my skin clean and healthy - I don't NEED the super coverage expensive products I can do fine with drug store stuff.

Respected Contributor

On 2/18/2015 Lanikins said:

The only thing I really pay attention to as far as an expiration date is mascara. I, too, am a high-end hoarder (not that you called yourself that!). Unless you're dipping your fingers into foundation bottles, I think they can last years. Lipsticks go bad when they start smelling funny, but I have many that are really old and are still fine.

You need to read the many articles about this subject. You are taking a chance if you are keeping makeup for years. It isn't meant to be used for more than a couple of years.

http://www.allure.com/beauty-products/2010/how_to_know_when_your_beauty_products_expire

This is an old article that I found about this subject but it is still relevant. If you always use high-end products you should just try to buy less so that it doesn't last too long.

Super Contributor

on every cosmetics i always take care abt expiry

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/18/2015 Lanikins said:

I cleaned my vanity last weekend and opened my lipsticks. OMG! The one LG lipstick I just HAD to have was.........{#emotions_dlg.blink}

I've also tossed Boots No 7 concealer in the click pen. Same lovely aroma when I took off the cap.

Respected Contributor

Anything with plant oils in it is going to go off within two years max. Some oils will only last 3-6 months. Most makeup probably doesn't have much in oils but even the alcohols and acids are only going last about two years.
Honored Contributor

I don't totally buy into the fear. I think some of it is generated for sales. I most definitely would not throw out all my cosmetics after six months, as HH posted.

Powder products can last a very long time. And you can always wipe the surface off. You can do the same with lipsticks. Pencil products should last as well.

I'm careful with liquids or creams.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

On 2/18/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I don't totally buy into the fear. I think some of it is generated for sales. I most definitely would not throw out all my cosmetics after six months, as HH posted.

Powder products can last a very long time. And you can always wipe the surface off. You can do the same with lipsticks. Pencil products should last as well.

I'd actually be concerned about the lipsticks. That is, if they have oils. Many of them do, or at least claim, to have oils and butters, esp castor oil. Regardless of preservatives and antioxidants, those oils just won't last past two years. Now, if they are using oil esters, sheesh, they'll last forever.
Frequent Contributor

On 2/18/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I agree.

My high school drama club saved makeup for a very, very long time (and yes, that was longer ago than I care to admit). Everyone used it, and I never knew anyone to have problems. That's why I've never been too concerned with the age of powder cosmetics.