Super Contributor

OT - What is everyone giving up during Lent??

Since today is Ash Wednesday I thought I'd ask what everyone (who still does this) is giving up for Lent.

Bagels are my biggest love/enemy. I adore them and sometimes have 2-3 daily!! I know, I know...it's FAR too many. But since I love them so much I've decided to give them up. It'll be interesting to see in 6 wks how much I might lose. If it's really impressive I might be tempted to not begin eating them at all anymore. We'll see.

Anyone else care to share??

Trusted Contributor

Re: OT - What is everyone giving up during Lent??

I'm giving up buying clothes for Lent as suggested in another thread. As also suggested, l'll go through my closets and drawers to make new outfits to help me get through the six weeks. I think the poster called it a spring closet party. Woohoo!
Regular Contributor

I am a Christian alright, just glad I am a Southern Baptist! I admire you who observe Lent.
Trusted Contributor

My 2 or 3 a day ""purchased"" coffees from the local shops!!! Hoping to shed some pounds (love the French vanilla creamer) and gain some cash!
Valued Contributor

Just read an interesting take on this, how about giving up negative self talk and negative thinking! I like this approach!

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 vandyfan said: I am a Christian alright, just glad I am a Southern Baptist! I admire you who observe Lent.

Baptist don't observe lent?

Honored Contributor

I have pretty much given up desserts anyway except fruit so - desserts.

Respected Contributor

Snacking after dinner ....

Trusted Contributor

virgosun ~ so interesting that you brought the ""negativity"" issues up as that is what the priest mentioned today at mass! I sat there thinking it was an inspirational and positive challenge! I'm adding that to my giving up buying specialty coffees!
Honored Contributor

I should say I am giving up warmth and sunshine since it is cool (50s) here today and the next few days and cloudy and dull. However, i am hoping for a recovery back into the 70's over the weekend.Those are normal temps for us - 70's - but it will feel like a heat wave. We have all our flower pots in the garage because we are supposed to have frosts for the next 2 nights. Those up north may think this doesn't sound too bad but when you aren't accustomed to it and don't have the right clothes it is unpleasant.