Regular Contributor

I am just about all grey,maybe 90 %Is there something I can use to look more platinum?

Tia,Lexi

Super Contributor

Me, too!

Every stylist I've asked says "No". Because gray is a mix, you have to strip the hair and then use a platinum toner. Very damaging and high maintenance. I think snow white is a matter of genetics or time. I'm wishing for the hair of Dame Judi Dench or the gorgeous 80- something model Carmen...their incomes would be nice, too.

Honored Contributor

It was a matter of time for me, from all gray to 90% white took about 4-5 years. Use shampoos for blonde/white hair once a week. More often & you might get the violet tint ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have salt & pepper hair (more salt on top) and I use Shikai Color Reflect platinum shampoo. Light-reflective plant-based. Brings out cool tones in blonde, silver and platinum hair. It minimizes yellow in your hair. It's under $10 and I bought it at iherb.com. Spend $20 & get free shipping. They have a lot of good brands to choose from. I was using Aveda's but I actually like this much better.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

KatCat, this sounds like a very interesting shampoo. I have a lot of gray in my hair now, so this would be something that I would like to try. My natural hair color is also dark blonde, too. I am also "salt and pepper," too.

Regular Contributor

Thank you Ladies, just came across Blue Malva at Nordstrom 50%off,free shipping.Hope it is as good as the Shikai...

Honored Contributor

I am about 70% gray and still have a little black mixed in there. I wash my hair with Pantene Silver Expressions. It keeps my gray hair looking shiny and a true platinum color.

Sally also sells silver semi-temporary color that you can use to brighten up gray hair if you want to go that route. You have to use it about every 3-4 shampoos to keep it looking nice. I have used the Jazz brand before, now I just use the shampoo.

Frequent Contributor

I stopped coloring my hair a year ago. It is the best thing I ever did. I have a short pixie and have received more compliments on my hair style since I stopped coloring. I am salt and pepper on top and sides and still brunette in back. I get a cut every 5-6 weeks. My hairdresser knows how to cut hair and after 39 years with her I have no need to find someone else. I use the cheapest shampoo, Suave or baby shampoo. I am a young 78.

Frequent Contributor

I forgot to mention that I have fine hair and now that it is grey it has more body. I also have been taking Biotin for a couple of years. I shampoo every 3 days.

Respected Contributor

My hair has been snow white since I was less than 40, thanks to my Dad who had the most wonderful white wavy hair. OMG he was the best looking man ever! From time to time, however, his hair would take on a yellow cast. He used something called Noreen rinse - it was purple and in capsule form. He put a capsule into a tall glass of water and used a fine tooth comb to pull it through his hair. It brought him right back to snow white, and never left a hint of the purple color in his hair.

I don't have to use anything to keep my white, but if I did I would try to find that Noreen rinse and use it as Dad did.

To JML - I had the same hairdresser for over 35 years. She knew exactly how I wanted to have my hair cut and I was never less than delighted with her work. In early December she suddenly decided she would retire, and left us all ugh and dry. Fortunately I still knew how to get in touch with the man who did my hair before I met her, and have gone back to him. Be sure you keep a replacement on the side. They can leave you without a second thought! Good luck.