Respected Contributor
Good morning everyone. Just a quick post to get us started this week. I'm off today and my goal is to get my guest room cleaned up. Im about half done. I'll post more later in the week
Respected Contributor

It snowed off and on all day yesterday. Actually amount was 5-6 inches at my house. Probably more since it was really wet snow. I shoveled at about 11 and believe it or not, my driveway and sidewalk stayed pretty clean, just wet. I looked out about 7:45 and there was about another 2 inches, so I was out shoveling my driveway at 8:00. I have the worst driveway in the world. It is extremely steep and faces north, so it has to be shoveled.

The good news is that I finished cleaning off the bed in my guest room. I still need to clean out the closet, but at least all the clothes that were on the bed are now put away. Now I need to start thinking about what I am going to pack for my cruise.

If you had the day off yesterday, did you take advantage of the extra time to continue your declutter and simplify projects?

Honored Contributor
On 2/16/2015 DrKelli said: Good morning everyone. Just a quick post to get us started this week. I'm off today and my goal is to get my guest room cleaned up. Im about half done. I'll post more later in the week

Do you think it would be a good idea just to make a thread for the month moving forward, might be easier for you and easier for us to find?

Honored Contributor

Lousy weather has a plus side keeps me out of the stores

Respected Contributor

I can do a monthly thread--it doesn't matter to me.

And you're right about the weather--I didn't go anywhere yesterday except to walk the dogs around the block and shovel my driveway. And there was nothing on the shopping channels that particularly interested me.

Frequent Contributor

Good Morning everyone :-)

Snow and more snow. It did not keep me in; I stayed the weekend at my SO's place but the good news is, my simplifying craziness has motivated him to do the same. We cleaned out a few things in his home, and even had a long conversation over dinner on Saturday night about our future plans and what we need to do to get to where we are looking to be as a couple. Organizing in that aspect, is beneficial too especially since we are looking at things for long term. Better to start decluttering now so that the transition is easier.

Back at home, I did lots of cleaning and reorganizing in anticipation of Friday's final pick up of all of my donations to SA. I'm truly desperate to get that stuff cleared out; it's been taking up room enough as it is. I also got on the phone this morning, just to call my cable service provider and request that one of my premium channels be removed, and after asking a few questions, she helped me to reconfigure my former package so that I'm down about $75 on my monthly bill. That's about $600-$700 savings for me annually. The technicians are coming over this Friday as well, to replace my old boxes so, I'll have a pretty busy day. Eventually, I'm planning on just doing away with cable or at the very least, sticking to the standard/basic channels, if that.

Let's see if I can continue to find other ways to trim off the excess...

Frequent Contributor
On 2/17/2015 DrKelli said:

I can do a monthly thread--it doesn't matter to me.

And you're right about the weather--I didn't go anywhere yesterday except to walk the dogs around the block and shovel my driveway. And there was nothing on the shopping channels that particularly interested me.

I'm ok with monthly thread, too.

As for the weather - I normally like/love winter. Not so much these days.

The worst thing about the cabin fever this weather causes for me is that I binge watched a great series on Netflix; I was hoping to make that last for a while as I know it takes them forever to post new seasons. I finished the last episode Sunday night and now I feel cheated LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

Still here and trying to keep moving forward.

My pantry is more organized so I am buying fewer groceries. Have to keep some extras on hand as we are getting snowed in here in NJ at least once a week. I do have to get out today to blow the fresh 3" of snow off the driveway and pick up a few perishables.

Just finished reading Peter Walsh's book, "It's All Too Much", geared at those of us who are focused on simplifying out homes and lives. At the end of his book is a chapter on maintenance. His suggestion for February, and what remains of this month, is to tackle our paper clutter. I did much of mine that was collected next to the sofa in the family room and important papers stored in the master bedroom. Found papers in there from 2009-10, LOL! Felt good to get rid of them, although I do not consider paper clutter my biggest challenge.

I am still shopping occasionally, for a few needs that are marked down to clearance at this time of year. Nothing from Qvc, hsn or amazon this month. A few items from ebay, mostly pants. I now need to purge the old ones. One in-one out.

A suggestion for those who have family to help with keeping things clean and organized at home: Every day, fill out index cards for the number of other family members living in the household. Every night, about 10-15 minutes before dinner, each person chooses a card and does that brief task. Having dinner as the deadline pretty much guarantees that it will be done and will not interfere with other activities. Wish I had done this when DSs were young and at home. Be consistent 5-6 days a week. It will become habit and our homes will be so much more restful and easy to maintain. Just keep recycling your collection of index cards.

Esteemed Contributor

Jolexi: just read your post. Way to go with cutting back on your cable bill!

Respected Contributor

I am home today since I had car problems and have to drive to work. I do agree with all of you about the weather. I live in New England and never liked the cold weather but this has been the worst stretch of cold and snow that I can remember. I believe that I read that they may be forecasting another snow storm for the weekend. Although, it is still a little bit early for them to forecast this correctly. I am really looking forward to the next few months when the weather should start improving.