Honored Contributor

Fair skin --- is it necessary to use blusher or bronzer?

I have very fair skin. I do get periods during the day where I flush due to heat, cold, emotions, rosacea, etc. So at times I may appear very pale and other times very rosy!

How does a person handle this?

When my skin is not reacting, I think, oh, I need something. I look too washed out, flat, not healthy.

I look at other women who wear a nice blush or bronzer and think, that looks so nice. But then again they probably don't have my crazy up and down skin color.

What do you think? Thanks for the posts!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fair skin --- is it necessary to use blusher or bronzer?

I think a lot of women -- regardless of skintone-- experience fluctuations in coloring. This is where makeup can help. The cheek area is the place where a lot of our stuff shows on the face. I find blush helps keep my face coloring appear to be normal when the tone makes a rapid transition from to ashen; or takes on an orangey flush from a hot flash.

Some of the fair ladies (who have similar issues), may be better suited to suggest colors they find flattering.

Super Contributor

I dont wear blush anymore -- I've got those under-eye bag things beginning (malar festoons) and it seems to accentuate them. And I was never really good with blush -- it always looked like blush, not that I was blushing. And because I'm so fair, bronzer looks ridiculous on me (at least the ones I've tried).

So I've begun contouring with a deeper, rosy-brownish blush. I just do the contour in the regular areas -- under cheekbones, up the temples, around the top of the forehead, jawline -- and blend like crazy with a kabuki brush. It's just subtle enough to give me some dimension. Doesn't make me look healthy or glowing, but it's enough to make me look LESS like a one dimensional ghost.

Honored Contributor

I am a natural redhead so i am very fair and have freckles - lots of freckles. I would never use a bronzer unless I have a tan and need to match that tone. I wear a cool toned foundation and blush - that's it.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear blush anymore. I am fair skinned with mild rosacea. I used to think I needed it, but when I quit wearing it I realized it wasn't necessary.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I am very fair and use either a cream or sometimes a powder blush in a very soft natural pink/nude tone. I've tried so many bronzers and no matter how light they are they still look fake on me even if I apply as lightly as possible. Having your skin issues I'm not sure what to do but whatever you choose go for something neutral in tone and do a light application.

Trusted Contributor

I wear foundation that is called Pale Ivory that helps to even out the skin tone. I use blush and have never used a bronzer. On occasion I use loose face powder.
Super Contributor

I'm very very pale also and I hate wearing blush because I also feel fake looking but I hate my washed out look. So I have been putting just a small amount of Revlon Prim Rose lip stick on the higher part of my cheeks and blend with a brush then wear the same on my lips and it looks very put together.
Valued Contributor

I am fair with pinky undertones AND Rosacea to boot! My nose and upper cheeks seem to be the most frequently affected by the Rosacea. I never thought I could wear a bronzer until I found Bobbi Brown's in the color Antigua. It is WONDERFUL for my skin tone and skin issues. I actually avoid my upper cheeks when applying this bronzer and tend to do a light, backwards #3 on each side of my face. Just really warms up my skin. In the most natural way. I love, love, love this product. And I am a fickle girl, but this is definitely an HG product for me. One I've purchased over and over again.

I think blush, otoh, can be really tricky for those of us with fair skin. Especially those of us with fair skin and skin issues. I had a SA at a Nordstrom counter tell me that I didn't need blush b/c I already had redness in my skin. And you know what? Since that conversation I've been very light handed with blush. I'm not saying that this particular person was some sort of skin guru, but she made me look at my face and my MU application in a different way. I'm now super careful of adding blush to my cheeks. And I realize that for me I tend to look way over done with blush that's not applied lightly or correctly. Which can easily happen if I'm in a hurry.

Just my two cents!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I am fair/light and flush/blush easily and, for the most part, I look better without blush, although the Too faced secret to no makeup makeup palette has a cream blush in there that, when used sparingly, is perfect and never looks fake (I thank the poster who recommended it- FUTURE maybe??) and never conflicts with my natural blushing. Other than that, i have pretty much given up on trying to find a good blush that works. Even the most pinky ones end up turning a weird peachy pink on me and that does not look natural.

I can never wear bronzer- they all are too much for my lighter skin. The best one was one from too faced but bronzer just isn't my thing.

I know exactly what you are talking about, OP- wanting that same look some women can achieve with blush and/or bronzer, but I think some of us just have to accept that we really don't have the right type of skintone for that and just work with the beautiful tone we do have. Smiley Happy