Super Contributor

on-topic if you think supplements r/t beauty

beauties, just a little PSA here. if you take supplements-especially store brands, you might want to go read the NYT's article titled "What’s in Those Supplements?"; in the 'Well' section. I know supplements get discussed around here from time to time. ~smiles, SnowKita
Super Contributor

Re: on-topic if you think supplements r/t beauty

Wow -- was THAT sobering! It makes me feel sad -- so many people are told by their doctors, or anedotal stories, to try certain supplements, and they're just not getting them! It appears to be herbal only, right? Vitamins aren't affected that I could tell.

I don't think herbal supplements are regulated (obviously!) but not sure about vitamin supplements. Bears some reasearch.

Thanks, SnowKita!

Honored Contributor

Vitamin supplements aren't regulated either. There have been lots of articles showing that vitamins aren't what they say they are. You have to be very careful of the brand you purchase. You could probably Google and find articles on this, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this.

Super Contributor

I believe the supplements in question were "store brands". Just need to buy you vitamins, herbal supplements etc from trusted companies with an established reputation and like anything else, you get what you pay for so don't cheap out on your health.

Honored Contributor

I'm aware that supplements aren't regulated, but still purchase them and take them.

I don't think I've ever bought any from a grocery store or even a drug store, usually from Vitamin Shoppe (never their brand) or iherb, Lucky Vitamin, Swanson's, etc. Only certain brands do I use.

I just bought my Nutiva Hemp protein powder at GNC this past weekend. However, I rarely shop there, we were traveling and I was out.

But just like every thing else, I am suspicious. Is that (conventional) apple really healthy to eat? Is that milk really wholesome? Is there anything I have to worry about that beef or chicken I buy for my family?

I buy 98% organic and otherwise look for the Non-GMO certified label and the nay sayers will still say I'm wasting my (DH's) hard earned money.

Back to the supplements, anti-supplement-takers will say you're taxing your liver with unneeded and unnecessary toxins. However, liver transplant recipients are initially prescribed vitamin d, calcium, vitamin b's, magnesium, and possibly other supplements. Months out post surgery, no longer on prescription, but ordered to take (grocery store?) supplements for the rest of your life.

If the government gets involved, I don't think it would make me feel any 'safer'.

Respected Contributor

If I buy a more expensive herbal supplement how do I know that I am getting what the label claims? I do not think paying more equals a guarantee that the contents and claim are equal.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/4/2015 MarenSeattle said:

Wow -- was THAT sobering! It makes me feel sad -- so many people are told by their doctors, or anedotal stories, to try certain supplements, and they're just not getting them! It appears to be herbal only, right? Vitamins aren't affected that I could tell.

I don't think herbal supplements are regulated (obviously!) but not sure about vitamin supplements. Bears some reasearch.

Thanks, SnowKita!

Sobering indeed. I will have to re-eval what brands we take.

Frequent Contributor

WOW..... I was told by my family Dr to stop taking them because they are really just ""expensive urine"" when it comes down to it. My derm told me I could continue to take Zinc but I have to get it from an herbal/vitamin store and not a supermarket or drugstore. I didn't think to ask her why until I read this article.

Valued Contributor

I'm a pharmacist and I have been on my soapbox for 15 years about the supplement industry. This comes as absolutely no surprise to me unfortunately. The problem is that vitamins and supplements are completely unregulated by the FDA (thanks to the lobbying efforts of the supplement industry).