Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- February

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Another month is here and it's another opportunity to make some changes. Thanks, kathie66 for the reminder! The first day of the month came and went and I was just so happy to see January go that I totally spaced posting. That and I worked yesterday.

Can't seem to get rid of this cough. I'm not contagious -- I just feel contagious. But I think it's a good thing that I got sick because it had been a long time since I'd been flat on my back, staring at the ceiling, hoping a grand piano would fall on me and end the misery. Nothing quite like getting over an illness to give a person a new perspective on things.

A new month! And a short one, too! What will you do with your 28 (now 26.5) days?

Trusted Contributor

Bee,

Phew I was worried!

So glad you are feeling better! Hope everyone has a great, productive month! Kathie

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 kathie66 said:

Bee,

Phew I was worried!

So glad you are feeling better! Hope everyone has a great, productive month! Kathie

Aw, thanks!

I think this will be the perfect time for tweaking. It's a short month, therefore a short commitment. I think we should focus on one thing and tweak it to make it better.

Better-half thought the hard drive on his computer died last month. Well, this would have been tragic because everything was on that computer. As it turned out, the problem was with a single file that had been corrupted and could not be saved. It was the file that contained all the information about food and every one of his sterling recipes. Now this, too, is a tragedy, but he's been handling the loss pretty well.

We're turning this into an opportunity to tweak our diets and how we shop for food. Since we were both pretty ill, it's a good time to change a few things that needed to be changed.

Valued Contributor

JustBee, I, too, have been very worried about you. I hope you feel better soon. Lots of stuff going around, so stay safe. Thank you for all you do; it takes a special person to be a nurse and it is so evident that you are such a carrying person.

Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Beauty$Junkie said:

JustBee, I, too, have been very worried about you. I hope you feel better soon. Lots of stuff going around, so stay safe. Thank you for all you do; it takes a special person to be a nurse and it is so evident that you are such a carrying person.

Aw, shucks!

Trusted Contributor

Just bee, it is so good to see you are up and posting. I hope you are 100% better very soon. And thank you for starting the February ComPact. It is so much fun posting with everyone!

My focus this month is to continue using the cosmetics, skin care, etc. that I own (of course). I am also working on completing some online tutorials for newer versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The versions I have are several years old, and I wanted to become familiar with the more recent programs. The tutorials are offered by Goodwill Community Foundation. The website is GCFLearnFree.org if anyone is interested. I learned of it through our county library system.

Over the past few months, I have really been a slacker. My sugar consumption has skyrocketed to the point that I think it is an addiction. I vowed to cut back this week, so now sweets are all I think about. Today, I have eaten fresh pineapple and two mandarin oranges are a sugar substitute. They were delicious, but I am still wanting sugar. Argh!

Also, my only exercise has been walking at the mall a few times. I think if I could get back into my exercise routine that would help me fight the sugar cravings.

Yesterday, I took DD to Kohls. She needed some new jeans. She always finds jeans she likes at Kohls. Her favorite jeans are basic skinnies with plain pockets and no rips or tears.

I accidentally bought myself something on Friday. Dillards was offering an additional 30% off clearance merchandise. I browsed the racks and found a pair of black velour lounge pants. Since becoming postmenopausal, there are days that I am just uncomfortable. Jeans really bother me. These pants are perfect and were only $17. Soft, warm, loose, and a great fit. I love them!! I have worn them every day since Friday and am fine with this purchase.

A front is coming through, and it is very windy outside. The gusts are causing my house to make funny sounds. I hate that. It sounds like the windows are going to crack. Does this bother anyone else?

Paws and enjoy life.