Regular Contributor

Using conditioner instead of shampoo

My hair is dry, fine and thinning on top. I have been using Renpure Keratin conditioner only twice per week and my hair is clean afterward. I don't know, but I'm wondering do we "need" to use shampoo? Anyone else do this?
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using conditioner instead of shampoo

My hair is oily so I have to get rid of that. I'd love to be able to do what you do though.
Honored Contributor

I have used Intelligent Nutrients Pureluxe conditioner as a cleanser and it works great. It even says on the directions you can use it as such if you have drier hair.

Respected Contributor

Hello, mamadukes. Smile

I wash with shampoo and conditioner. Everyone's hair is different. I think for me personally, my hair needs a good lather to get it clean, then the conditioner to add more moisture. My hair gets really dry, too. Glad you found something that works well for you. Smile

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Regular Contributor

I'm crossing my fingers that over time my hair won't be so dry. I'm always using oils overnight and honestly nothing I've tried has made a significant difference.
Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 mamadukes said: I'm crossing my fingers that over time my hair won't be so dry. I'm always using oils overnight and honestly nothing I've tried has made a significant difference.

If I may make a small suggestion...like you, my used to be very dry. Like, tumbleweed, sagebrush dry. Even with the shampoo and conditioner I use, my hair still needs that extra boost of moisture. So I would like to recommend two things for you to try.

One is called Nick Chavez Traditions Raindrops. It's a spray that goes on after you've washed your hair. It neutralizes the effects of hard water, which can make the hair dry.

Another I use is Nick Chavez Velvet Mesquite Serum. That can be used on both wet and dry hair, and can be used on the hair and skin. It's not oily, greasy and doesn't weigh the hair down. That really adds the moisture my hair needs. I just put it on my hair and it makes it feel like...well, velvet.

I hope your hair starts getting better. Smile

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

I have had no luck with just conditioners and I've tried many. I found it amazing a conditioner could leave my hair so frazzled-even the most conditioning ones. I always go back to WEN. I color my hair and have found the FIG perfect for winter and the Sweet Almond for summer.
Super Contributor

It is all about the formulation. Call it shampoo, cleanser, conditioner etc, in the end the label does not matter - the ingredients do.

Trusted Contributor

I have used conditioner only as cleanser and found two brands that worked on my fine, naturally curly hair and then both brands got discontinued. Lately I've reverted back to the way I used to do my hair many years ago, either shampoo only or deep condition 1st then wash one time a week. Cleansing conditioners wise, I did really like Renpure's Pomegranate cleanser. Also loved Herbal Essence's Color Me Happy Cleansing Conditioner in the pink bottle. I had a hard time finding it in any store other than Walgreen's. Loved WEN but it irritated my scalp. Aside from these, have not found any other cleansing conditioners that worked well in my hair including the brands sold at Sally Beauty. It does take a lot of trial & error to find the conditioner that works for you. I've seen many people on this board say that VO5 and Suave conditioners worked well for them as cleansing conditioner.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor

it is called co-washing. Most conditioners contain non-foaming cleansers so using conditioner only will still clean your hair. I do it once in the while but I prefer my suds