Respected Contributor

Argan oil to treat rashes/irritation

Has anybody had success using argon on rashes? I've been to two derms about a rash I've had on my arm for years. They both concurred it's dermatitis. We've tried several prescription topicals. Every topical steroid or cortisone cream has only made it more irritated. The only time it ever clears is when I'm on prednisone for something else, but returns as soon as I stop taking the prednisone. Obviously I can't be on prednisone all of the time. So I really don't put anything on it now. I've heard that argan can be very soothing and healing. Has anyone had luck using it on skin irritations?
Honored Contributor

Re: Argan oil to treat rashes/irritation

I would look at Calendula oil. I use it for mosquito bites and all kinds of itchy or red things and it works incredibly quick.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Have you tried to figure out what is causing it? I have to do that with my bath and hair stuff to figure out what item I'm allergic to.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

It may work. Try coconut oil, though. It's inexpensive. Anti-fungal & I have had a lot of luck with it on different skin issues. From diaper rashes to dermatitis that I get on my eye lids from certain products.

Honored Contributor

By any chance, do you have a latex allergy?

Respected Contributor

I have no other issues on my body so it's hard to figure out what's causing it...and it doesn't really spread.
Honored Contributor

I have had numerous episodes of contact dermatitis and each one is progressively worse. Once I find a product I stick with it, for that reason. You could start with the basics- Dove soap for the shower, unscented or baby laundry detergent, and natural deodorant. I haven't had it in a while, knock on wood, but I am careful about what I use. I do all right with Body Shop moisturizers, argan oil, Eucerin, and L'Occitane for hand cream. Some people report good experiences with aloe vera for skin conditions.

Frequent Contributor

YES! I have areas that I have used prescribe prednisone....comes back....I started using Argan oil and WOW, it works. I apply right after the shower when skin is still damp. Highly recommend.
Respected Contributor

I've always used unscented/sensitive laundry detergent. I use Dove Sensitive or Aveeno Sensitive. I don't put anything on it after I shower....no lotion. Only other thing might be hairspray mist that might be in the air.
Valued Contributor

My daughter had that all over her body. We installed a water softening system in the house and she's never had an episode since.