Honored Contributor

What color eye pencil should I buy?

I want to try a new color on my eyes. I saw in the recent Avon book a deep plum color that looked very pretty. But have always used a deep blue and recently dark brown. In my younger days, it was always strictly black.

I am 62 and have very fair skin and blonde hair and my eyes are sorta blue and sorta green. Not a good description but they are not a vivid blue and they are not a green either, so I'm not sure what color you'd say they are.

Any how - what color do you think would enhance my eyes the best? Would the plum color work? I don't want to look Gothic or anything. I'm quite old to pull that look off!

Also, what would be my best choice for an accompanying and complimentary shadow/shadows?

I am in need of something different to give my face a boost!

Thanks for any and all tips!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Contributor

Re: What color eye pencil should I buy?

I am very near your age with blue eyes. I recently bought at Sephora, Make Up Forever pencils in a light gray and like a bay leaf green. I love them both. Yes, i do wear plum also. Black is just too dark for me but the lighter gray works well. With the gray pencil, I usually use pink, lilac or neutral shadows. With the bay green, I only use neutral shadows. Loving shadows by IT cosmetics in the black leather type case $39. I love the way the lighter shadows brighten this old face! I have other shadows by IT also.
Honored Contributor

So you think pastels are better now? I always thought maybe they would look too washed out on me since I am so pale any way. I am in a quandary about colors these days. Not enough, too much, too glitzy, not show enough, etc.

Your colors sound really pretty, MissJillie!

Thanks so much for replying!

Regular Contributor

I have blue eyes and tried charcoal last year. Now I am hooked ! It really makes my eyes pop. I use a shadow pencil by Rimmel Scandaleyes . They also have a pretty blue teal color I wear in the summer. Great holding power and no smudging.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Bigpro!!! Those sound really pretty! I will have to look at the Rimmel eye things. They have a really nice selection at Walmart.

Respected Contributor

Copper/bronze, or charcoal. Good luck in your search. Smiley Wink
Trusted Contributor

How about ideas for eye shadows matte finish, my lids are so oily even after I wipe them,I like pastel colors in my sixties.

Trusted Contributor

I love charcoal, bronze, browns...I don't wear much black around my eye. I read a great article a while back about "how to wear more colorful eyeshadows". It was great and I wish I knew where to find it. Basically, you stick with very neutral browns/taupes and line your eyes, and apply shadow as normal - just your basic full neutral eye completely blended and finished. . Then you take your blue or green...purple shadow and just blend a little right into the center of your eyelid only. The crease and shading everywhere else is a neutral brown, but the pop of color (blended really well) is applied only in the center of your eyelid. It is a technique that really allows me to experiment with color without feeling self conscious. This was a few years back when blue eyeshadow was getting popular and I felt like I was in high school trying to wear it again Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

How about a gray? I know when I use silver gray eye shadow my eyes really stand out. My eyes are green/gray.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Your coloring sounds like mine. My eyes are green but the ring around my iris is blue. I can make them look green or blue. Grey looks best on me but I can wear plums and purple. Purple and plums make them look more green. Do you have any taupe shadows? They look great on me. If I wear brown liner with taupe shadow it gives a warmer look. Purple looks great with taupe and grey looks amazing.