Super Contributor

Need help with retinol from NCN

Right before Christmas when NCN was running her sale I decided to buy. I'd been using her Triple Acid Cleansing Gel and was quite happy with it. My skin was just stuck. Had been using that and some BHA products from Paula's Choice. Skin was moderately happy but not improving.

I sent her (Nancy) an email explaining that although 51 yrs old, I don't have many wrinkles. I'm more worried about my greasy nose, oily T-zone, very occasional zit and light rosacea. What would work best? She emailed me right back recommending stopping ALL acid products and begin using her Rhassoul soap, the 2% Retinol alternating with the 2% Retinol mixed 50/50 with 2% Retinol w/Tretinoin (as she thought would be too strong for me by itself). There is also a Redness Calm type of product that I bought at her recommendation to use in the AM prior to a makeup with an SPF. (That didn't work for me...stunk and it always burns like hades.)I've graduated to using the Retinol w/Tret full strength on my nose w/o irritation, a tad redder but no peeling.

{Sorry so long!!} Anyway, I've backed off a night here and there when I thought my skin was getting too irritated. Then I run into the question of what to use. I have nothing WITHOUT acids.... At this point, my cheeks, which were always 'normal' but some redness due to the rosacea, now feel like sandpaper and are as dry as the Sahara and burn if I haven't put on something like coconut oil - I never thought I'd be putting oil on my face!! Mind you, my nose is as greasy as ever with the large pores to prove it, I've begun putting regular SPF on my face (not even the oil-free kind b/c that burns...) and my skin is not looking too happy.

Does everyone go thru this until they come out the other side (so to speak) with great skin? Should I be stopping it altogether??!? At least before with the other products from PC, my skin was happy but oily (and red, of course, but that's no different from now!).

I'm at a total loss. Nanci's latest email said to just continue as she often feels like her skin is 'picking', too. She said that's the retinol working. I'm wondering if I should spring for the prescription-strength Retin-A Micro and only use that on the part that bothered me the most...my oily/red nose!!

ANY help will be greatly appreciated - and again, sorry this is so long!! TIA

Super Contributor

Re: Need help with retinol from NCN

I have ultra sensitive skin with rosacea and with my dermatologist's help I have used retinoids (both over the counter and prescription) for over 15 years without going through irritation or burning or redness or flaking. It's finding the right retinol or tritenoin strength and formulation, and the application method that works for you. With rosacea, you can't afford to "wait out" major irritation, it can actually damage your skin and make your rosacea worse. With retinoids you do not have to go through a worse before it gets better stage!

I think that there may be a combination of things going on that are causing problems for you.The first issue could be the rhassoul soap as it can be extremely irritating and drying. I can't use it because it makes my skin red and super dry (which causes more oil to be produced in the t-zone, making me oily and flaky at the same time). The second issue could be the retinols you're using. If you are new to retinol and tretinoin, the NCN formulations are a very strong and irritating place to start. Did you start using both right away? My dermatologist had me start with a mild over the counter retinol once a week when I began. (It was .015% retinol. At 2%, the retinol you're using is much, much stronger!) and then over the course of many years I increased strength and frequency of use. My skin could not tolerate the NCN retinol, even after many years of using prescription tretinoin. There are ingredients in the NCN formulation that can be very irritating for some people.

To be honest with you, I think before you look at retin-A micro you should just work on getting your skin calm. Then you can start slowly with a lower dose retinol and slowly work your way up to stronger retinoids. You might want to talk with your doctor or dermatologist about Differin. It's a gentler prescription retinoid that is especially good for pore issues and sensitive skin. I'm now using it instead of retin-a as my skin has become even more sensitive since going through menopause.

Super Contributor

Thanks Cassiem, my skin is just weird. It's always been oily and a bit red but now it's weird. Honestly I can't handle weird! I'm thinking I just need to wean off of the NCN stuff and eventually go back to my BHA products from PC, simply b/c my skin was happier then. I'm not sure how my skin would react to start using my BHA products right now. I'm in that in-between zone where I don't know what to use. I don't want large/pricey sizes of anything as I most likely won't be using them too much. (sigh...)

Respected Contributor

Hi ~ This is OT, but wanted to share my find.

A newer company called INSTA NATURAL. I use their Retinol Serum 2.5% and their Vit C Serum 20%. I love it. No irritation, and it is not expensive.

You can get products from their site, or Amazon, and they give out lots of %off coupons. They will also send you free of charge a bottle of something you would like to try. They did this for me when I first started with them. Their CS is awesome!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

As much as I like a few of Nanci's products, I don't think I'd take full on skincare routine advice from her, especially if you are dealing with something like rosacea. If you can, I'd recommend going to a derm and see what advice they might have. I don't know anything about rosacea but it does sound like you should go gentle with your skin, very basic and non-harsh anything for a bit to calm your skin down. Then from there, maybe a derm could help you get your issues under control.

Oh and I had experience with that redness product you mention and I thought it was just awful- it stung so bad I had to rinse it off immediately. I don't know how in the world that is recommended for use with anyone with any type of sensitivity or issues like rosacea, which I think is what it is geared for. Awful product.

ETA: I'd also recommend providing Nanci with that feedback about the redness serum.

Super Contributor

On 1/31/2015 dionline said:

Thanks Cassiem, my skin is just weird. It's always been oily and a bit red but now it's weird. Honestly I can't handle weird! I'm thinking I just need to wean off of the NCN stuff and eventually go back to my BHA products from PC, simply b/c my skin was happier then. I'm not sure how my skin would react to start using my BHA products right now. I'm in that in-between zone where I don't know what to use. I don't want large/pricey sizes of anything as I most likely won't be using them too much. (sigh...)

I commiserate with you, my skin has become so finicky over the years that finding products can be a challenge. It sounds like going back to what was working for you is a good idea. I agree with waiting on the BHA until your skin calms down. My go-to moisturizer without actives is Clinique moisture surge (you can get samples at Sephora). When my skin freaks out, I just use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer until everything calms down.

Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

Does anyone use the Rhassoul soap? any opinions and how do you use it, once or twice a day? Does it remove makeup?

Honored Contributor

On 1/31/2015 HappyDaze said:

As much as I like a few of Nanci's products, I don't think I'd take full on skincare routine advice from her, especially if you are dealing with something like rosacea. If you can, I'd recommend going to a derm and see what advice they might have. I don't know anything about rosacea but it does sound like you should go gentle with your skin, very basic and non-harsh anything for a bit to calm your skin down. Then from there, maybe a derm could help you get your issues under control.

Oh and I had experience with that redness product you mention and I thought it was just awful- it stung so bad I had to rinse it off immediately. I don't know how in the world that is recommended for use with anyone with any type of sensitivity or issues like rosacea, which I think is what it is geared for. Awful product.

ETA: I'd also recommend providing Nanci with that feedback about the redness serum.

And hopefully, dionline will share Nanci's response with us. Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I'll be enclosing the email I received from Nanci below. I always end up goofing up the copy & paste thing on these boards so I'll apologize in advance. (It worked!!)

Hi Diane, Thanks for the update! Waiting 20 minutes is what cuts down on dryness and/or irritation, the 20 minute wait period is very important. How about trying it more like 60/40, or 70/30. Or two pumps of the regular Retinol and one pump of the Ret w/ Tret. If that’s too much product, try eyeballing it instead. The “picking” is the product working, I get that too. Retin-A (the prescription Tretinoin) takes 6 months to 1 year before you really start seeing any results. So ours would not be different than that. If you purchased CALM within our 45 return policy, you can return it for a refund (or any full sized product you’re not happy with). Prescription Tretinoin is the best product for oily skin/pores. So the Ret w/ Tret is the closest thing to prescription that’s out there. You may want to move up to prescription strength, or just wait until the Ret w/ Tret works for you. I hope this helps – thanks Diane! Nanci

Super Contributor

Thought I'd bump for more responses from those who use this retinol...