Regular Contributor

Which do you prefer. The foils seem to be more popular but I think I prefer cap. Doesn't show new growth as much....Tia Lexi

Valued Contributor
I have had both like the foils better can do low lights and highlights.
Honored Contributor

I have my professionally done and they always do foil.

I have done it myself at home and used the cap but I actually prefer to paint the highlights on exactly where I want them using no cap or foil.

My hairdresser once told me foil is much better for hair that has any length to it because it's more precise. When you are pulling through a cap, your hair is all shoved up under there and you could be pulling hair from the same area through different holes and not realizing it.

Honored Contributor
I've done both and prefer foil.
Super Contributor

I just balayage highlights done - I had booked an appointment for a partial foil but I wanted something more natural looking. I showed my colorist some ideas from photos. She highlighted sections of hair around my face.

I have been doing something similar on my own but it's so tricky with the bleach and time-consuming and the balayage she did looks amazing.

Honored Contributor
On 1/30/2015 LipstickDiva said:

I have my professionally done and they always do foil.

I have done it myself at home and used the cap but I actually prefer to paint the highlights on exactly where I want them using no cap or foil.

My hairdresser once told me foil is much better for hair that has any length to it because it's more precise. When you are pulling through a cap, your hair is all shoved up under there and you could be pulling hair from the same area through different holes and not realizing it.

This makes perfect sense. I don't think many stylists do the cap method anymore. My DD does a lot of color services and she always foils. I think weaving the color/highlights in looks more natural.

Super Contributor

This makes perfect sense. I don't think many stylists do the cap method anymore. My DD does a lot of color services and she always foils. I think weaving the color/highlights in looks more natural.

This. Foils and painting on the highlights look more natural, and I don't think many salons use a cap anymore.

Regular Contributor

Thank you....foils it is...

Respected Contributor

Foils all the way! My hairdresser uses very heavy foil and puts cholesterol between each hightlight so there is no bleeding of color and gets very close. She is a rockstar colorist.