Regular Contributor
Hi, I am 56 and alternate skincare between Josie's Argan milk, oil and a few Elysee products. My skin is soft and moisturizer but it is lacking that glow and seems dull. I need a good exfoliater but I have only used scrubs in the past and a few masks. Can anyone suggest a good exfoliant for dry aging skin? Also if you have any stand out skincare products for aging skin I would love to hear about them. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

As we age, our natural cell turnover slows down and we need to help it along. Years ago I was having a conversation with an aesthetician who said if she could give one piece of advice it would be to peel, peel, peel. There are two kinds of exfolators; chemical and physical. Do you know what kind you want? The chemical (a non-abrasive treatment using acids or enzymes) will loosen the dead skin from the surface and the physical (something with a degree of abrasion) will remove the dead skin and essentially buff the surface to a smoother texture. I'm a couple of years older than you and I use both kinds. I'll use a chemical type at night and a mild microdermabrasion several mornings a week. Then do a stronger peel once or twice a week. In the evenings I'll alternate between prescription Retin-A and Mad Hippie Exfoliating Serum. The Mad Hippie Exfoliating Serum has a 10% strength is a made up of mostly fruit acids. Another good option would be something from the Alpha Hydrox company - either one of their 10% treatments or the 12% Souffle. Several mornings a week, I'll add a little Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant powder to my cleanser for gentle exfoliation. Once a week (midweek) I'll do something a little stronger, like Cure Natural Aqua Gel, Serious Skin Care's Glycolic Peel or Skinn's DermAppeal. I also do a SKINN ABC Peel either Saturday or Sunday. I know that sounds like a lot, but my skin is in good shape. Everyone is different and some people can over-exfoliate by scrubbing too hard, using products that are too strong, etc. Everyone needs to find the routine that works best for them

Honored Contributor

AHA's and BHA's are excellent for exfoliation. I would recommend one of the Paula's Choice products. I use her Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion and love it. My skin has improved since starting with her products last year. She has several different ones depending on your skin type and needs. Check out her website.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

As always, JLF has great advice.

I've been doing both chem & physical "peels" via some of the same products she mentioned (Alpha Hydrox) and gentle microdermabrasion with simple superfine sugar.

I try to stick with the lowest percentages possible, because I don't believe in stressing the skin. Just as important to me is a gentle, daily exfoliation, because you never know where your skin is in the turnover process. (It's the same as eating once a week. You don't do that, but eat for nourishment every day.)

After that little "lecture" about daily .....

I am also using a very gentle exfoliator as directed, once a week: Philosophy triple-acid brightening peel.

It is so very gentle, yet effective.

I am not correcting, but preventing dullness and loss of elasticity, and I still want my skin to build its own collagen. When you nudge the cell turnover (in our age range), besides a good, healthy diet and adequate moisture/protection, there's not too much else you can do to maintain beautiful skin.

Respected Contributor

Consider Paula's Choice Resist daily and/or weekly AHA. You can order samples before buying full size to see how it works for you. I use the weekly 10% AHA a couple of times a week.

A makeup tip from Wayne Goss for glowing skin is to mix a small drop of oil with your foundation.

Respected Contributor

I agree on gentle but frequent/daily exfoliation. Aggressive exfoliation makes my skin look scoured and rough. What works for me is rice powder mixed with a little water as a combination cleanser and exfoliator. I use this every day and it gives the exfoliation I need without overdoing it.

Honored Contributor
On 1/29/2015 NickNack said:

AHA's and BHA's are excellent for exfoliation. I would recommend one of the Paula's Choice products. I use her Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion and love it. My skin has improved since starting with her products last year. She has several different ones depending on your skin type and needs. Check out her website.

This stuff is a miracle. My skin loves salicylic acid. If I use this on a regular basis, my skin stays smooth and clear. When I forget for a while or need some extra help, I really like Detox Brightening Fizzy Powder Wash, by NUDE Skincare. My skin is sensitive, so many exfoliants irritate my skin, leaving it red or dry. This one has been effective, while also being gentle enough for my skin. I got mine at Sephora.

Honored Contributor

bix--I would recommend the clarisonic facial brush too. I'm 60 with pretty nice skin, altho it's very dry and a little sensitive. I bought this tool last July and have used it only once a day and wow, what a difference!! Seems like all my skincare and makeup go on so much better as all that daily gunk is cleaned out of my pores. I use much less and get more from it. And from what my derm dr says--everyone should be using a retinol something of some sort or what ever else there is too.

Super Contributor

I'm 50. I like to use Peter Thomas Roth's unwrinkle pads every morning. Maybe once a week, or every two weeks, I like to use Ole Henriksen's 3 step exfoliation product. (It's a very gentle scrub, lemon peel and chamomile mask). I had a sample of ExfoliKate (Kate Somerville) and was impressed - I may try that.

Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice is having a sale on exfoliants (skin & body) for 20% off. I love her products and have been using them since 1996.