Occasional Contributor

Need help with shingles scaring and nerve pain

Got shingles on Thanksgiving day....on my face and up into my hair....sores are gone but there are some scars and nerve pain. I need a cream/oil/serum or something that is soothing and cooling. Any ideas?

Thanks, Sylvia

Super Contributor

Re: Need help with shingles scaring and nerve pain

I don't know of anything that would help, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're still having pain. I was very lucky and had a really mild case of shingles and didn't have any residual effects but I was had hives that itched terribly for weeks. These things are miserable. My doctor mentioned to me that there are some anti-seizure meds that help with nerve pain but I haven't taken them so don't know anything about them, but you might ask your doctor.

Good luck.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

I would consult a dermatologist or doctor. They may be able to prescribe a hydrocortisone or NSAID type cream that would cool and also help the pain. My husband uses an NSAID based pain cream called Voltaren that is cooling and numbs pain but, a doc will be able to assess by looking what you should use.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sylvia

Honored Contributor

there are drugs the doctor can give you to help with the pain. it is a neuritis or neuropathy type pain and there are drugs that can eliminate this suffering, if not completely, almost completely. You may need some ointment as well for a while. My husband has had them and eventually the pain dissipates but while you are having this, please see your physician.

Honored Contributor

In the meantime, check your medicine cabinet or drugstore for Neosporin cream, the type that has an anesthetic in it. This also comes in generic, ask pharmacist if you can't find it. Or perhaps you have a Cortisone cream on hand. Neither one of these will hurt you if the skin has closed up and might possibly help.

Honored Contributor

I have seen different scar creams in the drugstore. However, it may be a good idea for you to ask your doctor.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have nerve pain in my fingers from chemo. What I have been taking is B-12 and something called benfotamine which are more B vitamins that help heal the damaged nerves. Try researching these to see if they might help. So far for me, I don't see much of a change and after 2 years my dr thinks I prob won't. The drugs that help with nerve pain, Lyrica, has its own set of side effects.

Trusted Contributor

lyrica

Respected Contributor

Aloe Vera gel